Sign in to follow this  
ben7293

Does FSX make full use of HT?

So I'm planning to build a computer and I'm deciding between i7-870 and i5-760. The only difference between them is HT. Wondering if HT has any effect on FSX performance?:)

There was a pretty detailed discussion of the subject in this thread. What I took from that was that HT had little, if any, effect on FSX. However, depending on what else you plan to use your computer for, you may want to get the HT-enabled processor anyway.Personally, I set up two overclocking profiles on mine - one with and one without. HT helps with general Windows 7 use and some applications, so I use that one most of the time, but for FS and games I turn it off and push the clock higher since everything I've read suggests that's the way to go. Haven't tested it for myself yet, though.What else are you looking at getting?

Guest TomOOO
So I'm planning to build a computer and I'm deciding between i7-870 and i5-760. The only difference between them is HT. Wondering if HT has any effect on FSX performance?:)
No - not at all.To use hyperthreading the source code of the program must be hyperthreadaware to implement this - FSX is not written to use it.It can produce 15-30% improvement, but it has also been shown to result incache memory problems - clashes, and also is also energy inefficent (read heathere) producing up to 50% more heat for no more than 30% more throughput.It is probably therefore good that FSX does not use HT as it would preventpeople over clocking their chips as much as the throughput gain would notincrease as much as the heat produced.