Sign in to follow this  
Guest jordan

Attn Michael Carr -- Thank you

Michael,I had one of those eye-popping, sweaty-shaky-hands, feel-so-alive moments last night. On the recommendation of another AVSIM poster, I downloaded Mustang Landing. I took a short VFR Fair Weather themed flight from ML to Santa Monica by way of Van Nuys airport in the Valmet L-70 Vinka (has no autopilot). Fun little hop and set 'er down around 2:00 pm Pacific. Tweaked the sim a bit and decided to go back with a newly downloaded weather theme by Weather-Maker called Approaching Cold Front. I took back off from Santa Monica, headed up to Van Nuys (all VFR), and took notice of some rather menacing clouds that were forming in and around the mountains around me. I made the turn into the wind and made an alarmed mental note that those forming clouds were forming quite quickly, had picked up speed, and were about to cross my flight path. Mmm, not what I had in mind when I took off VFR and underestimated both what Weather-Maker had programmed into this theme and what FS2004 is capable of throwing at one weather-wise.Ok, I thought, time to file IFR from Van Nuys to Mustang Landing. Except for the fact that Mustang Landing isn't recognized yet in the FS2004 database, that was pretty easy in theory (sound of forehead smack). VFR in IMC it is, then. Yeesh, the turbulence in that cold front hit me like a 747 had just missed my little Vinka by 100 feet. Then the driving rain hit. Glad that I had gone with a light load of fuel, I somehow kept the wings from snapping off and moved through the teeth of the front. With reduced but not dismal visibility, I rabid-squirrel-pounced my way through the valley toward Mustang Landing. I had made mental notes when taking off from ML earlier just where it sat in relation to distinguishable terrain and landclass, but those mental notes tended to seem fuzzy to me as I tried to keep my shiny stuff high enough off the ground to handle wind shear/pilot error and low enough to keep from scraping the windy ceiling. I came off with a healthy "Yeah!" when I saw the faint outline of Camarillo and Mustang Landing come into view, evoking a "Men are from Mars" look from my wife and a "Daddy made a noise, let me climb on his lap" from my 17-month old son. My newly-found co-pilot and I wound our way to the field and landed with a slight thud-splish-skid-ssssshhhhhhh-whew on runway 26. We turned around on the runway and admired the amazing detail you put into this really cool airport. I felt like I had been transported into the past as I taxied past vintage aircraft until I almost drove into the not-so-vintage minivan on the taxiway/road. After parking and shutdown, I grinned like a madman while logging the flight and exiting FS9 to play with my son.Michael, thanks for Mustang Landing. I'll keep it in my sim as long as the flight sims of the future allow me to.I'll never forget it.:-)Kevin

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Great story, and although I can't speak for Michael, I think your post is one of the best "Thank You"'s a developer can get.