Sign in to follow this  

this could fix peoples stutters and pauses

Guest miker916

Hi,I'm new to this forum and this is my first post, hopefully this fix will cure problems a lot of people appear to be having. I don't know if this advice has been offered before so please ignore if it has. I used to have some major problems with stutters and pauses in nearly all games & apps until i tried this fixed and they are now all gone. You will need to download a program called powerstrip (google for it) and apply these changes. I can't take any credit for the fix as i stumbled across it a while ago. Here is the relevant info from the article:PowerStrip does one thing, however, that no other utility I've found does. To wit, it allows you to examine and override a number of parameters for the PCI communications bus as applied to each device in your system. The first time I ran PowerStrip, I discovered the likely source of my hitching problems: my video card's PCI latency was at 248, my network device's value was 128, and my poor Audigy 2 sound card was set at 32. In other words, the video card and network card could easily hog the PCI bus to the point whereat my sound card might not be able to keep up with the load. PowerStrip makes it a simple matter to set those values to 80, 32, and 64 respectively. I experimented around a bit, of course, but those values seem to work best for my system.NB: Because quite a few people have written me regarding how to use PowerStrip, I thought it was worth mentioning two things here. If you're having trouble tweaking the PCI latency values, don't worry, it's probably not your fault; the PowerStrip interface is utterly terrible in this regard. First, to be able to switch from one device to another, you need to look to the right of your video card's name. There are tiny scrollbar buttons there that allow you to select the device you want to tweak. Second, if you find that you can't actually change the latency values, you should look for a check box labelled "Read-only" and make sure it's unchecked.Heres a link to the full article:http://www.geocities.com/phileosophos/tech/pcilatency.html

There's another utility as well that claims to do the same thing....agptimer...and it's free vs. Powerstrips $30 cost. Here's a link to the file:http://www.overclockers.com/articles529/AGPTIMER.zipHere's the link to the article itself:http://www.overclockers.com/articles529The PCI latency value of 248 seems a common setting for the Nvidia cards according to the article associated with the link I've included.Still, I urge users to use extreme caution....especially if only one sim is having issues vs. the other applications installed. In spite of FS2004's improvements, I'm still a huge FS2002 fan. As long as there's a light deck of cirrus, the sky is realistic enough to keep me happy. I use FS2004 for bush flying and cloud hopping--and I seriously think performance is a good as I could ever expect...dang good given my system. So I won't apply any tweak that hinders the performance of FS2002 and my one other concession to PC Entertainment--No Limits Coaster Simulation.Still, I'm hoping the "let's get Mikey" principle applies. I'd love to hear if this tweak helps someone ;)

Tweaks are like woman's make up. The more you do the more you feel your sim is running better, beautiful in the case of women. But then we know the reality dont we?