Sign in to follow this  
Guest Offmysix

Smoothing FS9 in W98 see if this helps

Guest Offmysix

I run FS9 in W98SE and have managed to get it running fairly smooth.This is what worked for me.Removed this from my vcache listing in the system.iniminfilecache=32768maxfilecache=32768chunksize=2048namecache=4096directorycache=96( left over from FS2002 tweaking) Seemed to helpFixed swap file on my D: drive...( OS on C: FS9 on E:)( D,E partitioned 2nd drive) increase from 512 to 1024. Surprisingly helped. I always thought 512 would be big enough.Removed FSUIPC and Advdisplay. Definitely causing a cyclical stutter on my system. I put it back in after all the tweaking and could see the stutters come back.My system is an Athlon 2400 OC to 2.1 gig with a GF3 OC W98SEwith 512 of sdram. Modest system but not doing too bad with FS9 now.I run autogen @ normal and display objects at dense (LIKE THE EYE CANDY) AI 100%. Bilinear textures. riva turner with -0.1 lod and level 8 texture filter.1152 x 864 16 bit. Frame rate lock @ 1640% 3d clouds and i've installed all those smaller texture file add-ons.I run FS9 in high priority. I am running FSNav also no noticable degradation of frame rates.I hope the info helps someone.

Guest sanremo

I came across your posting whilst doing a search for "swap file". I use also W98SE and the reason for my search is that I can not do a full instal of FS9, I get an error message which says that either one of the FS9 cab files is corrupt (which I know not to be the case) or my swap file is too small. I have succesfully completed a limited installation.You say that you have increased your swap file, may I ask how you did it and also how you make FS9 high priority.f.i. my system.ini does not have an entry under "vcahe". I also run FSNav (great program) without any apparent effect on FR.Don