Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quaxo

Looking for comments on FS9 rain...

Guest Quaxo

I have just tried FS9 for a short time (one hour more or less); I have to say I'm quite impressed by the graphics (by the way, it outperformed FS2K2 on a XP1600+ system, 512Mb Ram, GeForce4MX440: >20 fps but without AA).But I have a couple of questions...I tried a flight in the rain. I was flying the Ford Tri-motor, with realism settings to max. I started the takeoff run while looking from the spot view, and I noticed a funny (ugly) thing: the rain kept falling vertically until I reached more or less 50 kts, then it immediately turned to diagonal. I expected the rain to change gradually from vertical to almost horizontal for very fast speeds... And I would like to see the rain non-vertical when I'm not moving, if there is wind. Am I doing something wrong, or does the sim just behave this way?Other problem, with the ground handling: I noticed that the aircraft was often "sliding" laterally. I mean: in a real plane, with rare exceptions, the aircraft tends to move in the direction it's pointing (when you're on the ground). In FS instead, it just kept sliding sideways. Again: is this my fault in setting the sim, or is it a characteristic of the simulator?Thanks,Cristian

Guest RSmith

Christian,Try the King Air, select weather scenario "cold fronts"..... see if this is what you're looking for. Just completed a short flight Bend over to Eugene, Oregon, 12,000 ft. with that FS weather scenario. Doesn't get much more realistic, (imo) ! Rain was hard - horizontal, streaming off my windscreen, and proper sound effects to boot ! Ron

Guest Quaxo

Ron,Thanks for the answer. I tried what you said, but unfortunately there was no rain at takeoff. And the effect I described is only visible when you're going at <50 kts.Maybe you can try the following: KingAir aircraft (or any other :-) ), weather="Stormy weather". Do a takeoff (or a fast taxi) while looking in the spot view, and look if you see the rainfall changing abruptly from vertical to diagonal when you cross 50 kts...Thanks,Cristian