Sign in to follow this  
vector

Second World War airfields

Many of you, especially the yanks and the brits, will know that during the Second World War there were a large number of airfields built along the Eastern side of the United Kingdom as this was the nearest point to Germany and therefore reduced flying time.Many of these airfields can still be seen from the air and not all of them by any means have been turned industrial or housing estates.If you are lucky enough to own the VFR Photographic scenery of the UK then you can see these disused airfields. Last night I flew over three of them and in the case of two you could still see the runway markings after 60 years and the dispersal areas where B17s etc were kept.I could have sworn that I could hear those might engines running and seen the aircraft crewed by 19 and 20 year olds lining up for yet another raid.David

Guest daveg4otu

Much the same down here in Hampshire- there were a fair number(not anywhere near as many as East Anglia/Lincolnshire) and ,though all the New Forest ones have had the runways removed - some are still plainly visible from the air- Have a look at the recent aerial photos of Holmsley,Beaulieu ,Stoney Cross etc. on my website about Hampshire Airfields athttp://daveg4otu.tripod.com/h.htmlor look on Multipmap.com .Less obvious here are several ALGs built for D Day using steel matting runways These have gone almost without any trace left now.Dave

DaveThanks for the link to your website. I've got to go out right now but I'll have a further look this evening. Looks to be very interesting.David