Sign in to follow this  
Guest sgreenwood

2 quick questions...

From my time spent as a train simmer, we got better performance out of that sim (fps wise) by changing the vertical sync from 0 to 3 in the 'render ahead' setting. Does lowering this to 0 have a positive effect here in FS2004, or does it have to be left at 3?Question #2 - I was looking at the read-me files in some freeware mesh from FS2002, and the author make reference to increasing the TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL from 19 to 20 in the .cfg file, or you wouldn't be able to see the changes he made. Here in FS2004, does doing that give a better look to all add-on mesh?Thanks in advance :)Scott

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Oops, I meant lower the vertical sync from 3 to 0 , not the other way around! :)

Hi Scott. Perhaps I can help with your second queston.>Question #2 - I was looking at the read-me files in some freeware mesh >from FS2002, and the author make reference to increasing the >TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL from 19 to 20 in the .cfg file, or you >wouldn't be able to see the changes he made. Here in FS2004, does doing> that give a better look to all add-on mesh?Setting TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL to 20 improves the rendering of high resoltution mesh in both sim versions. A value of 21 adds a bit more detail. Values greater than 21 have no further effect. "High resolution" generally means 3 arcsec (90-100m) or better source data, usually converted to mesh using an LOD of 9 (76.4m ) or higher. I have text files you can download which describe the default mesh locations and resolutions so you can determine where this setting may improve the default mesh.www.fs-traveler.com/cgi-bin/fs2002-default_mesh.zipwww.fs-traveler.com/cgi-bin/fs2004-default_mesh.zipIn FS2002, LOD 12 mesh will not be used unless the value is set to 21, not 20. I believe this is still true for FS2004.Hope this helps,Steve