Sign in to follow this  
Guest JoeESSA

FS2004 Essential Tweaks

Well, after having read a variety of posts over the past three or so weeks and implementing a significant number of tweaks to the FS9.cfg, etc., etc. I decided to re-install FS2004 and start from scratch. Not that I have been seeing major problems such as heavy stuttering, but just an experiment to wipe the slate clean and try to find the minimum set of essential tweaks to get things nice and smooth. Here goes:1)Change the following in FS9.cfg fileTERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.500000both originally set to zero. This makes a huge difference to terrain detail in the immediate vicinity of the ac. Looks much more realistic.2)Rename Default.xml file in autogen folder to Default.xml.bak.Before doing this my frames would regularly drop from the locked value of 25 to 17 to 18 and with slight stuttering. After making the change my fps is more or less fixed at 25 with the occasional drop to 22 to 23 or so when flying in my local area.That's it folks. For my system these two tweaks are the biggies in my opinion.One other thing I would recommend is that if you upgrade any hardware, e.g. video card (as I have done) then a fresh re-install of FS2004 is probably a reasonable thing to do. Prevents multiple entries and other oddities from appearing in the FS9.cfg file.Joe

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!