Sign in to follow this  

ILS instrument - available as add on?

Guest DonaldS

Hi:Is there any Payware, Shareware or Freeware ILS instrument out there anywhere? (Sort of like GPS was available as 3rd party add-ons in old versions of MS FS.)I completely understand that most of the "modern" FS 2004 default aircraft have it, but the plane I am finding that I fly the most, the DC-3, does not have it. Several of the real life DC-3 have been retrofitted with ILS so I feel it would not be out of line to have ILS in the default FS2004 DC-3. The default FS2004 DC-3 has GPS but no ILS.I also completely understand that there are a couple of 3rd party shareware and freeware DC-3 panels that incoporate ILS as part of the panel design. That's kind of what is stopping me from downloading them; that is, in one way or another they try to do too much at one time, thereby destroying the historical integrity of the looks of the default DC-3 panel.Thanks,DonaldS

Guest artl

There is nothing to prevent you from taking the existing ILS instument, such as the "Cessna!VOR1", and adding it to the DC3 panel (if you can find a place for it).Just look at the entries in the panel.cfg file in the DC3panels folder.Add the line:gauge43=Cessna!VOR1, , to the section titled {Window00}, and then move the x and y postions around until you are happy with the placement. It WILL react to the DC3's existing NAV 1 radio.If you cannot find room, you can try to move some of the other instruments around just to tightem them up a little and give you room. Just edit their, x, y positions in panel.cfg.

Guest DonaldS

Hey! Thank you so much.I'll give it a try. (If you hear a anguished scream from somewhere in the Midwest, it will probably be me, bungling something.) I will save the DC-3 panel.cfg file, before I start messing around.Regards,DonaldS

Guest DonaldS

Huzzah!It worked. I actually made the Cessna VOR 1, appear in the DC-3 Panel. (it was small because I put it in the dial that displayed Outside Air Temperature - but it was there, sure as anything!)But, sadly, while it will work as a VOR, it will not work as ILS because the DC-3 does not have that option. Sigh.Well, at any rate, I learned something new about FS from the experiment.Thanks again for the tip and for showing me how one tiny part of the FS "innards" work.Regards,DonaldS

The ILS works for me, make sure you click the little A in the bottom left corner to bring up the antique avionics panel and have select nav 1 with the toggle switch. Click the .jpg attachment below, that's the best I can do, here's the panel.cfg file http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/36427.zip

Guest DonaldS

Yip Freightdog and artl: --- A very genuine thank you and tip of my Nebraska hat to you two for guiding me through to a solution with my need for ILS in DC-3. I am now happily moving (albeit a little slower than the Mooney but faster than the J-3) through the skys of the High Plains of the U.S.A., fearful not of any foul weather that might be lurking out there trying to prevent me landing safely in my trusty DC-3.Regards,DonaldS

Hi, Could you possibly post the x & y coordinates? I was sure hoping that someone would come up with this for the DC3. Thanks Dick Davis