Sign in to follow this  
Guest cwright

LOSS OF FPS (fs2002)

Hi,Has anyone been able to resolve the problem of a loss of FPS aftera reasonably long flight?? If so what tweaking or other action didyou take? I for example when going to an affected airport for thefirst time can get 5-7FPS more than if I have flown to the airport.I would appreciated any ideas on how to improve this situation ifyou can assist - thank youYoursJohn

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

John, this sounds like what has become a well documented problem in FS2004. It is caused by a class of autogen objects that have enormous visibility distances. Strangely, the off distances (the distance at which an object disappears) are much larger than the on distances. This means that as you fly you build up a huge backlog of objects behind you that can be up to 22 miles distant. This explains rather neatly why the problem occurs if you fly toward an airport, and also why it does not occur if you do a GOTO to the airport (because in this case you don't build up a backlog of objects behind you). However, you are referring to FS2002. When investigating the FS2004 problem I did some tests in FS2002. I found that the same problem was evident, although a lot less noticeable (FS2004 has far more dense autogen for similar settings). This temporary fix works in FS2004 and it may well work in FS2002 also. When you have a frame rate drop, simply change the autogen density in the graphics options. Return to the sim and then immediately return the autogen setting to your original. In FS2004 this flushes out all the unwanted distant autogen objects. It may well do the same in FS2002. Best regards, Chris