Sign in to follow this  
Cactus521

Realistic visibility settings

Hi there, Typically, I set my visibility settings (FS2002) to either 10 or 20 miles, primarily because of the smoother and higher framerates this affords my system, even in complex areas. Realistically, what are typical visibility ranges in various weather conditions, e.g clear, overcast?Thanks for any responses.J.C. (MYNN)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It all varies.... I've flown in clear skies, but moving from the dry desert SW to humid climates I've seen vis. go from 100+ to less than 20 miles. Took one flight to Houston once--not a cloud in the sky the whole time--but it was as if someone was gradually sliding that 'ol vis slider to the left. I found out why when I landed in Houston--90 degrees and 9000 pct. humidity (I know--my wife has already told me a billion times not to exaggerate).I've also flown in overcast skies, but have had outstanding vis. below and under the deck....For most flying I find a range of 40-80 miles captures what I see in real life, but I fly with vis maxed in Arizona because it often is. I can see the San Francisco Peaks 100+ miles north of Phoenix the minute we're higher than the surrounding mountain ranges...One flight I took out of Zurich beats them all though. It was a short hop to Geneve on an AA 767... Maybe twenty pax from my JFK-Zurich flight remained to fly to Geneve. We were all treated to an amazing view of the Alps and the Med beyond during the 10-20 secs we were at our cruising alt of FL180.... That hop is so short, you go up, then you go down :)-John