Sign in to follow this  
Zack Millar

Multiplayer Issues

Hello all. So I'm trying to teach somebody the basics of flying using the shared cockpit feature of FSX, and we keep hitting a problem. The first problems are loading times - his system took an hour and a half (I exaggerate not) to load the flight. Is this because he lives in the United States and I live in the United Kingdom, or is there an underlying problem? Apparently it never took anything LIKE that length of time offline.

The other problem was an interesting and curious one. After this extortionate wait, the cockpit flashed onto screen briefly for him, maybe for a few seconds, then it went back to loading textures (i.e. black screen, white progress box, etc). Granted, it went an awful lot quicker - maybe a couple of minutes. Then, it seemed to hang at 99% every time (sending FSX unresponsive and so forth). The curious bit is that as soon as his cockpit flashed onto the screen, I got the notification that he'd joined my aircraft, and when his thing started loading, nothing changed for me.

Are we doing something weird? Is HE doing something weird? Is it all too much to ask of FSX to achieve this over such a long distance?

We are doing this through Gamespy, by the way. Would doing it through the direct IP method make any difference?

Thanks very much!