Sign in to follow this  
Guest jacaru

FS 9 Patch Issue

Guest nigelb

>Nigel, would you confirm the creation date of the patch? Seems>by the info you provide, the patch was made _before_ the>original FS9.exe!>>I suspect the year is wrong but even at that, it looks like it>took MS from this past April to early September to affect the>changes and then another 5 weeks or so to release the>patch.....and only adding 28 bytes of code. No wonder MS is>reluctant to get into patches!Another Nigel here! - My patched fs9.cfg is version 9.1.0.40901, Date created - Sunday, July 27, 2003, 10:40:10 AMDate Modified - Wednesday, September 01, 2004, 3:18:50 AMI had the nocd version, but replaced that with the original version from the CD before I applied the patch. Otherwise I would have lost the modifications to fs9.exe.Only 28 bytes of code changed is probably not true. The file is 28 bytes larger than the original, but that does not indicate how much of the original code was changed by replacing code that occupied the same space. I know when I compared the original version and the patched version with WinDiff, there appeared to be many changes in the code - I can't tell what they are because they appear as garbage characters since WinDif is designed for text files, not executables.Someone far smarter than me maybe able to use a hex editor to compare the original version and the patched version and verify what I found and maybe even tell what the changes are!

Guest jacaru

Many developers on their updates only modify the required bytes on requiered files to make smaller updates.mak