Sign in to follow this  
Guest shanwick

well here we go again

Ok, my last thread was just locked, and this is what I was talking about by hostility. There was actually a pretty good discusion going on about the subject, but it has become very taboo. I realize that this site cannot condone the modification, but discusion as well? I guess it's your site, and you have that right.I have just one question to all of you. Please open your CD drive and tell me if there is a Windows disk in it. Yeah, I thought not.Now, what the heck is the big fuss over a program that, at best, 1% of the folks who run windows, also have. Not to mention , one that cost much less than Windows, Office, or any of the bread and butter programs, which dont require disk to be in.Copyright protection is a very real problem. But the LEGAL end user must also be considered in the equation. My nephew wants fs9. I told him to get his own.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I seem to recall that in the FS Patch Readme thread created by Ken Salter he started off by saying that the modified fs9.exe file appeared to work for some users but that discussion of this would not be allowed. If I am right then his post has been modified since.There are several forums that will allow discussion of the subject provided that no link is posted to where the modified file can be downloaded. I even subscribe to one forum that has explained how to install the FS9 patch, make copies of various patched files, then uninstall the patch and finally install the modified files back into your original FS9 setup thereby allowing you to continue flying with whatever fs9.exe file you have installed and enjoy the benefits of the patch. Having followed the instructions I can confirm that it works.I suspect that there may be many forum moderators all over the Internet who personally agree with our, the simulator enthusiast's, view regarding this subject. If they didn't then surely they would ban ALL references or discussion regarding modified files. However, they have to consider the legal position which is an entirely different matter.David