Sign in to follow this  
N820RS

My Triple 7 Experience (With

First off I would like to say how much I love the visual model of the 777.  Secondly I would like to explain my problems and/or solutions to what I have encountered with everything else.  I have flown the 777 quite a few times and these have all been random flights that I have found on FlightAware and thought they would be okay to try.  I HAVE NOT done the tutorial flight for the aircraft that is given to you after purchase of the airplane. 

First I will let you all know of my computer specs:

Windows 8.1

Intel I7-4770 @3.40 GHZ

8GB of ram (I have no idea of the brand)

GeForce GTX 645

This was bought as a stock Dell XPS 8700 and the only upgrade during the options was the video card.  Purchased during 2013, so specs should still be the same as of reading during November 2013. 

To start things off, I decided to fly the 777 on some basic short haul routes to test the aircraft.  As soon as I had started, I had crashes.  I tried a few times only to realize that something serious was happening.  I do realize that during the purchase of this product that WINDOWS 8 is not supported during claims. That's fine because I have a copy of Windows 7 that I can go to just in case.  (Which will probably happen because I'm not a fan of 8) But that is a whole other topic...

I first searched Google asking about the 777 and Windows 8.  I found some things on it in plenty of threads, but it was hit or miss.  Some people ran fine, while others did not.  I realized that this couldn't be something on my part with Windows 8. 

Firstly my problem was a graphics issue where as when switching views, a ghosting thing would happen.  The screen would be as if nothing was there besides the scenery.  The scenery moved without a problem, but when I would use the hat to see different angles, ghosting would happen.  The simulator still ran, but obviously I could not continue because there was nothing I could see besides scenery.  I could easily hit Escape and exit FSX.  

Next I ran FSX a few times to have it crash and then ran the application AppCrashView thinking it could tell me something I was not seeing in the process.  I saw that the D3D9.dll was the cause of my problems (according the AppCrashView).  I had been running the ENB series so I thought that this would have been it.  Even thought I hated to lose it, I ditched it so I could at least run the airplane.  

Once I had removed the ENB add on, I soon found out that my airplane was not crashing as much, but it still crashed.  This time only to find that it would crash after running the amazing technology of Auto Cruise.  It would happen after running at the 16X max.  Again, I was stumped.  I soon found that a problem that some people had was with  the AI traffic.  I can account to this as I did see once the AI module in my AppCrashView.  I knew that at 4X speed, the simulator would not have to load and that was okay during a few flights.  I read a post and a person had said to turn the AI OFF. This did not include just the aircraft, but boats and road traffic as well, just to be safe.  So I did. 

This did help a lot.  I ran the sim a few times from my home airport of KSDF down to Atlanta a few times with no problems. I sat in the cockpit and did spot view a few times and nothing went wrong at all.  

I was excited, only until today..

I had randomly searched FlightAware to find a short route flight that I could find.  Luck would have it, an Omni Air 777 was coming into my home airport of KSDF.  We never see 777's here so I took it as a sign.  

The flight was from KGRK to KSDF http://flightaware.com/live/flight/OAE590/history/20131123/1830Z/KGRK/KSDF A very short flight for a 777.  

I followed the exact route and times, thinking this would be a good flight, only to realize that halfway through the flight, the unexpected and random ghosting would happen again.  

As to what is causing this, I have no idea.  I understand video drivers and all that, so I am wondering what else is going wrong to cause this.  It only happens when I am switching views.  I know that it is something of a graphical error, but I have yet to pin point the cause.  I have the latest drivers, but who knows.  I will continue to test and update my progress so that others may find help during any of these situations.  

Like I said, I know Windows 8 is not supported and if that is a problem then so be it. I personally do not think that it is, but I will keep an updated post here as to what it may truly be.  I have done plenty of testing, as stated above, so I will keep trying.  

If anyone has any solutions, please let me know.  

Until then, keep your eyes towards the sky. 

Still having the problems, and here is somewhat of a screenshot as to what happens.  

PMDG_Fail.jpg

If i switch views, the aircraft just goes blank like this.  The clouds ghost around and there is nothing I can do.  Sometimes I can hit alt and exit the game, other times I just have to end the process.  I've tried several different drivers thinking it's the video card drivers, but this effect still happens.  

I have done a complete re install on FSX and the aircraft.  It's just the aircraft and FSX,  no other add ons.