Sign in to follow this  
-Stark-

Asnext Ntdll Crash - Prepar3D

A number of months ago I installed Active Sky next Beta for Prepar3d and the install went smooth and I didn't seem to have any issues at the time.  Can't can't pinpoint exactly when it happened but sometime between P3D 2.1 and 2.2 patch and a few ASNext installs later I started receiving crashes when trying to load P3D.  Below is an example of what the crash looks like.

---------

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: Prepar3D.exe
  Application Version: 2.2.10437.0
  Application Timestamp: 533d6c08
  Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
  Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18247
  Fault Module Timestamp: 521ea8e7
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 000222d2
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
  LCID: 1033

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
---------

I tried to run P3D without ASNext and received the same error.  Not to be bothered with it I ran P3D as an Admin and it loaded right up.  I exited out tried to run it normal... same crash.  I loaded up ASNext and ran P3D as an Admin and had no issues.  From then on I've been playing P3D as an Admin and not really worrying about it.  A few times tried to reinstall P3D, ASNext and some other things but I would get pulled away and forget about it.

A few days ago while logged into a separate profile I tried to start P3D NOT as an Admin and it ran fine.  I knew at that point it wasn't an issue directly with the windows ntdll.dll file and that I could probably attempt to figure it out.  Logged back onto my profile I knew the only difference would be in the Appdata folder.  So I backed that up and cleared it out.  P3D ran fine as a normal user!  So I started moving files over one at a time like controls, settings, log, ect and then running P3D and waiting for the error which never happened.  I then ran ASNext and noticed some extra files got thrown in.  At that point it crashed just like before.

I ended up pinpointing it to the dll.xml file located in the P3D appdata folder.  If I delete it then P3D runs fine, however every time I start ASNext it puts it back in and it will crash.  The work around is still run P3D as an Admin and all is fine.  Here's what the dll.xml looks like not sure what this file does or what these tags are.

-----
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
<Name>as_connect</Name>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<Path>as_srv\as_btstrp.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>
-----

So my question is does anyone know how to solve this issue?  I was thinking it's a permission issue but I do not know what permissions to change, or maybe it's something specific in this file.  Not sure.

I 'think' I resolved the issue.  Seeing that it only crashed when I didn't run it as an admin I decided to start chasing down file permissions.  This is Windows 7 so I can't vouch that this will work in other setups.

In the Installation directory under Program Files there's a 'as_srv' directory (For me C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\as_srv)

Under that folders properties > Security I adjusted the Users (computer\Users) permission to include Full control, Modify and Write.  No clue if this opens up any other issues but now I can start ASN and P3D without running everything as the admin.