Sign in to follow this  
Guest Charlie Hall

How to tweak flap sound so its continous?

Guest ThrottleUp

Hello all :)Is there anyway of fixing a flap-sound looping effect?Let me explain:When I select 1 notch of flap the sound goes "whiiiiiiiiiiirrrrr" and then stops - as it should.But when I go from zero flaps to say 25 degrees flap the sound goes "whiiiiiiirrrr -pause - whiiiiiiirrrr -pause - whiiiiiiirrrr -pause - whiiiiiiirrrr -pause - whiiiiiiirrrr - -pause - whiiiiiiirrrr"Any way of making one long continuous flap sound without the pauses?Do I need to "stretch" it using an audio editor or something?In a nutshell: the sound should last for a few seconds when extending one notch of flap and last a lot longer (without loop-pauses) when extending several notches of flap.You can wake up now :)Not a life-threatening issue but a bit annoying to hear a stuck-record effect when I deploy flaps!!!Would greatly appreciate help and advice, thanks much :)

Guest Charlie Hall

Yes, you need to "stretch" it with an audio editor but not by slowing it down, even if you are able to do so. To find out how long it must play for, look at the aircraft.cfg for the plane in question and find the [flaps.0] section and then look at the extending-time where it will show the number of seconds it will take from full retraction to full extension. Check also the next flaps sections but I have found the times are usually shorter in those. Many flaps wav files have a beginning and end sound so you have to keep those at the ends and add another copy of the middle part so it forms a seamless set of joins without pitch changes or volume level jumps. Save a copy of the original file, then split the file at suitable points so that the sound playing at those points is much the same, then move the end part along so it finishes where you want, then copy a suitable length section or sections from the middle part to fill in the space. You really need a good editor program to make a good job of it, plus some knowledge of audio file editing.

Guest ThrottleUp

Charlie-Thanx very much for the response :) Especially useful is what you said about the flap entries in the aircraft.cfg. So *thats* what those numbers are all about!Looks like this is gonna take some time hee hee.I was thinking about using Audacity:http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/imag...ity-windows.pngIs that good enough for this task?

Guest Charlie Hall

I can't tell you as I don't have the program but try it and see. You won't hurt anything as long as you make a back up first. The program does appear as though it might be able to cut and paste audio sections. If it can do small overlaps and mix the overlapping portions well then it should work OK. If it can't do good overlaps you will need to make your cuts at exactly the points where the audio crosses the centreline or audible clicks will result.

Guest Erick_Cantu

While that will work, it'll only sound right if you only use full flaps and no flaps during the entire flight regime. The sound will just stop when the flaps stop moving.The defaults have cue point embedded in the wave files telling where to play when you start moving flaps, play when the flaps stop moving, and what parts loop. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do it. I don't even know if they're cue points (of the kind you can edit in with Goldwave or similar software like we use in MSTS), I just know they have a way od fefining what part of the wave file gets looped.There's a way to get it to loop right and it involves a lot of what's said here, but you need to mix with a default flap sound, you need to set it up so that it gets to the section you want to loop at or before the point the default flap sound does, and that this section ends at or after the point where the default does, and then have the end of the flap sound (where you hear the motors stopping) after this.Use sound recorder to do the mixing.Unless you want to hear two flap sounds, reduce the volume of the default flap sound to near nothing before you mix in your flap sound.I really can't explain it any better.Good luck!

Guest Charlie Hall

You are right that the file would not have the stop points playing and sometimes not the start points playing, unless the whole file is allowed to play when going from none to full flaps. I did not know about the cue points but now I think about it I had wondered how some planes manage to have the start and stop sounds working no matter what. I'll have to look into it to see if I can figure out how it is done.