Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Nighttexture bugs...

Guest janove

Hi!When I fly at night, and especially at hight altitudes, the texture in the horizon turns unrealistic. The water within a couple of hundreds of miles is dark and fine, but the texture outside there again is dark green. The transition between these colours is sudden and artificial. When I zoome out in the map-section I can see the contours where the water at the nearest is dark, and the water outside there again is dark green. At day this is no problem, because the colours of both the near water and the one far away is similar. But when the night comes the differences occur. I would prefer to have the colours as similar as possible. How may I solve this problem? Is it because of my 3d-card? I have a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600. I`ve also tried to install new textures, without any luck so far. Sincerely,Jan Ove Larssen, Norway

It's not your 3-d card.Briefly, FS2004 handles textures in two different ways. Those close in (within 50-60 miles if you're using extended terrain textures as most do) are drawn from the collection of texture bmps. Landclass and waterclass data determines what texture bmps are used. Textures outside of 50-60 miles seem to be hard coded into the sim and are drawn on the fly--the reason being not much detail is required as the eye can't perceive very much ground detail at such distances.So, how do you get rid of that ugly transition at night? For me, if I reduce visibility to 50 miles and raise the visibility ceiling to anything above my planned flight level, the effect is reduced quite a bit. That, and sometimes simply changing the date--some nights are rendered "darker" than others by FS2004's dynamic environment assignment, which varies by day.-John