Sign in to follow this  
Guest tymk

Terrain shadow distance slider overrides object shadow distance setting

Hi guys,

I originally posted this in the LM forum, but so far the response has been... non-existent... :wink: I'd like to ask if someone could verify this on their setup, as this might have some performance and VAS implications.

I've noticed that the "object shadow distance" slider doesn't work for me at all. Whether I set it to zero or to the max, object shadows are still displayed within the visible range in the sim.

A few days ago, I was fiddling with settings and watching GPU usage, and I noticed that the "object shadow distance" slider does actually work as long as the "terrain shadow distance" slider is set to 0. As soon as I set any other value for terrain shadows, the object shadow distance setting is overridden.

I couldn't test this with autogen as it simply doesn't reach far enough, but with "fixed" scenery objects, the object shadow distance appears to increase with the terrain shadow distance beyond the maximum value of 12,000 m (i.e. if you set terrain shadows to 20,000 m, the value seems to be applied to object shadows as well). This, I suppose, can have some performance implications. Unfortunately, I was unable to test the maximum object shadow distance because you cannot really use zoom for testing (if you do, the shadowing distance appears to "creep forward" as you zoom in, i.e. objects beyond the selected shadow range start casting shadows as you zoom in on them).

Regards,
Tym

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!