Sign in to follow this  
Guest ThrottleUp

CTD & Re-Installing FS9

Guest AndiB

There have been numerious posts here by Simmers experiencing CTD's and many responses about re-installing FS9 when all other corrections fail to work. Well, I am now at that stage (after 3 months of trying various other correction methods, including some equipment upgrades) where a re-install is probably my next best bet. Otherwise I'll probably need to give up Flight Simming until the new FS comes out sometime next year. There are many bits and pieces in AVSIM posts about general methods used to re-install FS9, but none which give the whole process step by step without having to paste together 10 different posts or guess which process should be done and in what order. As I understand it, depending on the size of one's files and add-on's this re-install process can take anywhere from 5 to 25 hours to accomplish?At this stage I would dread wiping out my FS9 and the hundreds of dollars spent on add-on's and other enhancements trying to do a re-install with just the partial information I now have to follow.Can anyone direct me and others (I can't be the only one facing this problem) to a site or post that lays out a complete re-install process and/or outlines which pit-falls we need to watch out for during a re-install.As Always Thanks for the Help

Guest firehawk44

Hi Andy,I can personally attest that the reinstall process takes 5 plus hours to accomplish. In these days of commercial developers taking additional steps to prevent priacy (I agree with them), it pretty much requires a complete uninstall/reinstall piece by piece. For example, simply changing a piece of hardware requires registering Active Camera again and commercial developers have developed other security schemes to protect their investments. So, trying to merge your previously installed commercial aircraft/scenery into a newly installed FS9 may or may not work depending on the security implemented. It is sometimes very difficult to find a cause for a CTD but I would stick with finding a solution. Simply removing the FS9.cfg and restarting the sim and letting the sim rebuild the FS9.cfg has solved a lot of CTD's. Bad video card drivers are another major cause. Duplicate AFCAD's or missing scenery files/textures are another major cause. Lastly, it could be a problem with your system itself and a complete reinstall of FS9 will not solve your CTD's until your system has been repaired (bad memory, hard drives, or system board as examples). Hope this helps.Jim

Guest ThrottleUp

Just until yesterday I was suffering horrendous CTDs until I removed a dll I had added. If you look back a few pages you will see a thread about "ATI shimmer being stopped" or something along those lines. I followed a link to a site where you could download this dll and stick it into your FS9 folder.The CTDs came thick and fast (FS9 fatal error: ntdll.dll). It took me 2 days of trying everything before I remembered that dll. I removed it and now....FS9 is purring like a kitten.Probably not a solution for you but I just put that in this thread to show that sometimes it just might pay off to keep a written log of what you added and when! If I had done that I would have fixed the CTD prob in 10 seconds.