Sign in to follow this  
Guest thegut97

Great book for flying Boeing Aircraft

Guest bobsk8

When I was at the Avsim Convention last month I had an opportunity to meet Mike Ray, a retired United Airlines Captain , who writes numerous books on Flight Sims. Mike has flown just about all the 700 series Boeing aircraft for a living and because of this he is a wealth of information on flying these aircraft. In addition, he really likes Flight Sims, and gears his publications for the Simmer who wants to learn how to really fly one of the add-on aircraft like the PMDG and Level D products and any other aircraft that closely mimics the real aircraft. I have taken a couple of business trips in the last couple of weeks and had the opportunity to read both of the books that I got flying back and forth, and love them both. His latest book, which is not listed on his web site yet, is entitled " Flying the Boeing 700 Series Flight Simulators". This book is very well written, with plenty of illustrations, much humor and tons of facts on the real Boeing and the Boeing Simulators that we fly in MSFS. When he says to turn a switch, or select this AP mode rather than that one, he not only tells you to do it, but explains why it should be done. If you find yourself in a complex plane like the 767 or the 737, and you find yourself just turning things on an off without knowing exactly why you have to do that, this is the book for you. Some of the book is basic stuff that many of us now, so it is great for a newbie, but there is also alot of stuff that I never knew and I have been flying sims for ages. I have learned things about the FMC, and the Glass Panels that I never knew before. If you are like me, and like to read and really study about the aircraft you are flying, but can't stand technical manuals that can bore you to tears, get a copy of this book. Mikes web site is www.utem.com. 1-800-873-2880. As I stated before , this book has only been out a couple of months, so he doesn't have it up on the web site yet, but you can probably order it from him.

Got his 737 book, it's great.Did see the new one in stores yesterday, but sadly there was no copy available for checking out (they were all packed in shrinkwrap). One sale lost at least temporarilly, when will stores learn that people won't buy a book like that by looking at the cover?

Guest SuperFortress

How is the NEW PILOT STUFF BOOK? Any idea what's covered in it? Thank you.

Guest thegut97

I have his 767 book and it is fantastic. It taught me a lot about level D's 767. I would encourage everybody to pick one up just to learn a ton about day to day procedures the airline pilots use. It can also be used to terrify people who want to be pilots by showing them the checkride they have to take every six months. :-) Good stuff!David