Sign in to follow this  
Guest ecv737

Need some Guidance -FDE's- ALL

Guest ecv737

My son is new to MS Flight Simulation.He does not want to go right awy into complex GA's or Jets, plus he has to consider that his allowance has other uses than expensive addons). He wants to use the default aircrafts (the Cessnas 172-182 208-208B, The King 350, The Baron 58, The Mooney Bravo and the Three Boeings B737-400,B747-400, B777-300.I told him that I have read and has experience some difficulties with the aerodynamics of the defaults and that some clever people has come up with modified/optimized FDE's. The trouble is, I do not know which are the best ones.Could some of you experts help me in this. I realize that you hard core pilots do not use Fs2004 defaults, but I assume some of you have used these defaults planes either in FS2004 or before.Your help would be appreciated.____________________________________________________Alienware Area 51M Pentium4 3.6 MHZ 2 GB Ram 2X60GB HDD, NVIDIA Ge Force Go 6800 256MB on BoardAltec Lansing Speakers with Woofer17 Screen, Second Display Samsung 21"2xNEC DVD+-RWND-6500A Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2NX_______________________________________________Edmundo CardenasCaracas, Venezuela

http://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannersupporter.jpgProud Pilot Meridian VA

Guest wildfire563

What type of plane is he most interested in learning to fly? I would start with one, get to know it well, and then branch out from there.There are lots and lots of really great freeware planes out there for all types of models, as well as some great scenery addons for just about anywhere you would like to fly. If you are willing to do your homework here at Avsim and other sites, upgrading your installation won't cost a penny. And hopefully, if you are still interested, you'll even learn how to develop your own addons and contribute back to the community.

For what it's worth, the defaults you mention will fly just fine. One or two might be a bit touchy on pitch, but all of those fly well with normal control inputs. Of course, just as with a real plane, a new pilot might be porpousing all over the place with pitch, instead of a nice smooth climb with airspeed and vertical speed remaining rather constant. Beginners landings might be "crap" too! :). But it won't be because of bad flight dynamics for these stock airplanes. It just takes practice.Now, the Piper Cub, might or might not fly well, do some some weird and unpredictable programming glitch.As to add on flight dynamics, panels, etc, it's more a matter of getting improved responses for cross-controlling as in slips, improved multi-engine performance with engine out scenarios, etc. But this isn't required for someone who wants to learn control inputs and get from one place to another. The default 172 has rather mild flight charecteristics, and wil work excellent for simulated flight instruction. It's also setup to work with FS2004's flight lessons.L.Adamson

I'd start with the Cessna 172 from Flight1. It is the plane that virtually everyone starts to learn flying, has great flight dynamics and is relatively easy to learn, plus it is much better than the default C172.Good luck!Pat

Guest AlvinS

I would go to Realair Simulations and get the free update to the Cessna 172. http://www.realairsimulations.com/This updates the flight dynamics and is very realistic. I would stick with this aircraft until he is very familiar with it, and then move up from there.

Guest ecv737

Thank you very much to all for the advices and recommendations. My son is not really that newbie, me has flown the GA's and the B737 but wants to stick for the time being with the defaults, specially after he went and bought the whole set of Friedly Panels at SimMarket com. He wants to avoid having a huge Hard drive full of downloads (aircrafts, panels , gauges and sceneries)like He wants to fly and not waste too much time downloading (sounds familiar guys???). He just wants better handling for the aircrafts (his opinion) but I agree with you all that the Defaults are no Dogs like in the previous FS's, except perhaps the Cub.The only non Default he flies regularly is a freeware Dash 8 he downloaded from Avsim, and this is because The VA he joined has a lot of local flights (in Venezuela) with this equipment.BTW thank you very much to the college which pointed me to the B58 package .I still would like to know if there is a link with updted FDE's.BTW again, in Venezuela we only have 5 airports with ILS so you really have to learn proper landing procedures. You guys do not know how nice is to have ILS galore like in the USA.___________________________________________________Edmundo CardenasCaracas, Venezuela Alienware Area 51M Pentium4 3.6 MHZ 2 GB Ram 2X60GB HDD, NVIDIA Ge Force Go 6800 256MB on BoardAltec Lansing Speakers with Woofer17 Screen, Second Display Samsung 21"2xNEC DVD+-RWND-6500A Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2NX____________________________________________________

Guest ecv737

Thank you Big All. Fantastick Link as well as the barpan.zip.All I need now are revised fly dynamics for the default Boeings._______________________________________________________Edmundo CardenasCaracas, Venezuela Alienware Area 51M Pentium4 3.6 MHZ 2 GB Ram 2X60GB HDD, NVIDIA Ge Force Go 6800 256MB on BoardAltec Lansing Speakers with Woofer17 Screen, Second Display Samsung 21"2xNEC DVD+-RWND-6500A Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2NX_______________________________________________________