Sign in to follow this  
J van E

Holy cow... the difference between an old and a new graphics engine?

Just installed my brand new MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G into my 'old' PC: an i7 4790K@4.5 and 16 GB of RAM. My previous GPU was a GTX 780 with 6 GB VRAM. I was surprised to see the difference it makes in a sim that is quite new but still based on an older system (afaik) and a newer sim. I set up two situations in both sims and tested them a few times before and after the swap.

XP11, settings med to high

GTX 780 22/23 fps

GTX 1080 29/30 fps

Increase of fps is around 30%

Aerofly FS2, everything maxed out

GTX 780 160 fps

GTX 1080 300 fps

That's almost an increase of 100% (EDIT well, I calculated it and it's around 90%)

Even though 33% is quite nice it isn't the difference a GTX 780 to 1080 should deliver. The increase that Aerofly shows however is similar to tests I have seen done with various games.

XP11 performs a bit better but still feels sluggish (and that's not with maxed out settings). Aerofly FS 2 already screamed along but now it's even better...! Seems AFS2 really has an up to date modern graphics engine that really uses the possibilities of the GPU!

BTW In case you wonder why I wasn't satisfied with 160 fps: I am getting a Rift soon. :wink:

P.S. I don't have P3D installed otherwise I would have tested that one too of course but I didn't want to install it just for a test.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!