Sign in to follow this  
Guest BOPrey

Question about VNAV.

Guest BOPrey

Just learnt most of the GS 530 programming. Getting to the VNav pape, I though that I can enter the desire heights for each waypoint but there is only one VNav pape. Can someone explain the proper use of VNav? Can I pre-program in the flight plan such that each waypoint has their own desired altitude? Thnx.

Guest Tophatter

You can only use the VNAV function on the 530 for one waypoint at a time. Basically it will assist you in reaching a target altitude a set distance from the waypoint you specify. One example would be if you were flying a VOR/DME approach to an airport. You check your chart and see that the final approach fix is 8 miles from the runway with an altitude of 2600 feet. You set your VNAV page alt to 2600 feet MSL 8 miles before runway X and you enter in your desired vertical speed. From there the 530 will tell you when you need to start your decent and what VS is required to reach your set altitude at the required distance. One thing to remember though is that this is all advisory, the GPS will not fly a vertical profile, you have to do that yourself. If you do not have the GNS pilots guide you can get it from the Garmin site which explains all in detail.http://www.garmin.com/support/userManual.j...ct=010-00182-11Bud