Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rob_Mays

FS9 Install Problem

Guest Rob_Mays

Okay ... this is gonna sound pretty stupid, but I'm stuck and don't know what else to try.I just upgraded my PC and had to reinstall Windows XP Home, now running on AMD 3500, with Creative Audigy 2 sound and Nvidia 6600GT 128MB video.I reinstalled FS9, downloaded the 9.1 patch, moved it to the FS9 root folder and executed. Opening FS9 and going to "Create a flight," no aircraft animation shows in the box on the lower half of the screen, just black, and the mouse cursor disappears while crossing the black section but cursor okay everywhere else. After selecting Fly Now, no aircraft visible, no panel visible, no buildings. Runway okay, clouds okay, sounds okay. I figured it was because of my hasty addition of the 9.1 patch.Uninstalled FS9.1. Ran Registry Mechanic to clean up the registry. Installed FS9 again. Tried again without adding the 9.1 patch. Same results.Uninstalled FS9. Installed again. Same results. To me, it looks like a video driver problem. Using the latest drivers from Nvidia 81.98, using DirectX 9.0c, all Windows XP updates applied including SP2. I've been using the Nvidia card with FS9 for 9 months without problems until now. Everything else runs great, although no other games are loaded. Used dxdiag and everything checks out fine, all dxdiag setting enabled. I have not run 81.98 drivers with this card, as I was using 78.04 drivers previously. Have tried full screen and windows view, tried changing the display setting in FS9, neither of which made any difference.I've never had this kind of a problem at such a basic level, only high level tweaking issues. I hope I'm just a moron and I'm missing something obvious. I would appreciate any guidance or sugestions from bright people who understand these problems better than I do. I'm stuck and don't really know what to try next, other than maybe using older drivers ... but I can't find my old 78.04 drivers any more online. Maybe Omega 66.93?Any thoughts would be most appreciated. I'd love to move from being a computer technician back to being a virtual pilot again!Thanks in advance ... Rob

Guest Chas

Hi Rob,I believe this is a common problem, do not loose any sleep over it.Yes it appears to be a driver problem, it happens to me too when I set the anti aliasing to over 4X in full screen view. If you use windowed mode you should be able to see your aircraft in the window.I guess you need to lower your anti aliasing settings if you are using full screen mode.Yours aye.Charles.

Guest Rob_Mays

>Yes it appears to be a driver problem, it happens to me too>when I set the anti aliasing to over 4X in full screen view.>If you use windowed mode you should be able to see your>aircraft in the window.>I guess you need to lower your anti aliasing settings if you>are using full screen mode.Unfortunately, the problem continues whether anti-aliasing is turned on or off, and whether in full screen or windows mode. It may indeed be a driver problem, but I don't think it has anything to do with either full screen mode or anti-aliasing. Nevertheless, I do appreciate the confirmation that this issue has been seen before. I'll continue to address this as a driver problem.I was wondering if anyone had heard about any problems with the newer Nvidia drivers running on older cards, although the 6600GT isn't all that old.Maybe I'll try rolling back to an older set of drivers and see if that works. Any other ideas floating around?Thanks ... Rob