Sign in to follow this  
Guest av84fun

Aerobatics - maketh a better pilot?

I though I'd start up a discussion:What are your thoughts about aerobatics? I know there are a lot of people in here who've never really gotten into it, but I can't help thinking that those pilots are missing out on the finer points of precision flight.Do you believe aerobatics are important for becoming a better hands-on pilot? If not, why not?Also, do you believe spin training can potentially make one a safer pilot? Why? Why not?I've started getting into advanced aerobatics in FS2004 (there are some maneuvers that can't really be done in FS2004 due to the lack of gyroscopic effect modelling etc, but most can be, especially in an aircraft such as the RealAir Spit), and I've really noticed my general flying skills improve immeasurably. I though I'd get everyone else's thoughs about the subject as well.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

<Oh boy! You are going to get a lot of different opinions and none of them will be "correct."It's a matter of taste and opinion and there is no right or wrong.Is the Indy car racer a better driver because he can handle a car easily at 240 mph or is the better driver the guy who has never viloated a speed sign in his life?For sure, the aerobatic pilot has a BROADER range of experience but there would be no correlation in aerobatic skills and being able to hand fly a perfect ILS, for example.I assume that an aerobatic pilot would have a better chance of surviving a wake turbulence upset but I'll bet that such encounters represent a fraction of 1% of the causes of aviation fatalities so why, the argument would go...should you spend so much time acquiring skills that you might use once in 20 LIFETIMES of active flight?As for spin training...that subject has been debated since the earliest days of aviation and the debate will never end.Without question, it is HUNDREDS of times better to learn how to AVOID spins than to learn to recover from them.I've shot...maybe 20 spins in my 1,000 hours of flight time...ALL INTENTIONAL and ONCE under the hood with an instructor which SCARED THE BEANS out of me...by the way!! The number of stall/spin accidents every year just astonishes me because you have to either completely misunderstand flying or WORK HARD at it or become unconscious...in order to spin most aircraft.One of my primary instructors said it all when he said..."Jim, I'm going to tell you the two DUMBEST ways to die in a moving vehicle1. Try to beat a train to the crossing in your car and2. Spin an airplane.So, again, if you have to be terribly untrained to inadvertently spin an airplane, what is the point in practicing that which is never going to happen to you anyway?Besides, not having spun in at least 10 years, there is ZERO question in my mind that I could recover easily tomorrow..and that is with 20 spins TOTAL in my logbook. So, for those guys who have hundreds if not thousands of spins to their credit...I say..."That's cool"Finally, a great percentage of stall/spins happen in the pattern or other low level conditions and are not recoverable regardless of how many spins you have done at safe altitudes.Regards,Jim