Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Very Interesting FS2004 observation

Before I leave town again I wanted to place this post--I probably won't be able to respond again, but I found something curious about the patched (9.1) release of FS2004 that may be present in the 9.0 release as well.I had started to notice a stutter in largely empty areas after an hour or so of using the sim. I had always noticed this, but never really cared since most of my sim sessions are only an hour or so. Just for kicks, I started monitoring my memory usage during these flights about a week ago, with a focus on free memory. For the first 50 minutes or so, free memory would always stay consistent in the 120-130 meg range. But on approaching a city--such as Salt Lake, the memory started to fall at a rate of five to ten megs a minute, to the point where my swap file started to take some hits. Swap file hits=HD Access, hence a stutter.It's interesting to see this around a city--I would expect with more objects, memory use would go up. But I leave autogen off and AI off during normal flying and usually fly an aircraft with one of the default panels. I would eventually expect memory use to level off and not drop any further. On my last test of this, from Bozeman to Salt Lake City, I slaved the GPS to the Nav and let the autopilot take over. Reaching SLC, the plane entered a holding pattern and did circuits over the airport. With each circuit, memory use climbed. Add-ons installed? Just USA Roads, but this behavior was there before I added USA Roads. I did think that one of the utility modules I had could be a culprit, so I removed them all but still observed this.What's funny is if I toggle from full screen to windowed and back again, free memory jumps back up.Is it annoying? Nothing could steal my enjoyment from the sim. But I thought these observations were interesting, and wanted to share them with others.Now to suggest a flight, Bozeman to SLC about an hour before dusk--it has to be one of the most enjoyable flights FS2004 can offer.Regards,John Cillis