Sign in to follow this  
nosar77

P3D Compression Compact GUI

Posted (edited)

So ive been testing this new program i found call CompactGUI. Basically what it does is, it uses the windows compression API to compress files to really small sized. It has been tested with many AAA PC games. I decided to run it on certain folders in P3D. This compress is reversible if certain addons or folders dont play well and not every folder is compatible and not every file type is compatible. Also due to this being built into windows overhead is reduced so getting worse decreased performance is minimal but according to the developer and many others they gained better loading times and performance especially on HDD's. 

Results: smaller folders for sure. decreased loading times. slightly better FPS. reduced my GPU VRAM dramatically which shows especially when in very cloudy conditions my FPS stayed high. (running GTX 1080 with 8GB VRAM)

Disclaimer: Try at your own risk and make sure you do backups. I wouldn't try this with super slow CPU since it would take forever to compress the files in addition to it could make CPU usage higher when not using a high end CPU or SSD.

Airplanes.PNG?raw=1

Orbx.PNG?raw=1

Rason Bryant

Edited by nosar77

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!