Sign in to follow this  
Guest adevins

Default Bell JetRanger - Feature request

Guest Bell206freak

I've been avoiding the thought of posting this because it might come off in the wrong way, but I decided to post anyway because I thought it might be a worthwhile point to make.When I purchased Flight Simulator 98, I was thrilled to see a representation of the helicopter - in the form of the ever-popular Bell JetRanger. I was so thrilled in fact that to this day, it has been almost exclusively the only aircraft I ever fly within Flight Simulator (as it is also my most favorite aircraft in reality). Its detail was what was to be expected with the level of detail FS '98 incorporated, and I didn't mind flying it to say the least.I never got the chance to fly Flight Simulator 2000 nor Flight Simulator 2002, because I couldn't afford to buy the program and I didn't have the machine capable of running it.Digressing onwards.The detail of the default JetRanger is initially very well executed at the exterior level (although in FS, the JetRanger seems to have an incorrect "stance" that's hard to describe). But once you immerse yourself in the virtual cockpit, the detail quickly dissapears.There are two major glaring issues. One of them being the visual representation of the chin bubbles in the virtual cockpit. The other is the overall shape of the avionics and flight panel display.Attached to this thread are a series of images that visually describe the topic at hand.(Please note: Disregard Attachment #4, it was an error in defining the attachment type)a>This is a photo taken from the Airliners.com website showing the actual JetRanger cockpit from Right PIC position.a>A screengrab of the default JetRanger cockpit. Comparing the two, you'll notice that in reality, the main instrument panel is not truly centered over the radio stack. Instead, it is more off-centered to the right. Additionally, the main panel's shape is incorrect, as the real JetRanger panel is more rounded.In terms of the chin bubbles, you'll notice that in reality the chin bubbles are much more larger than those in the virtual depiction of the JetRanger. Another missing feature within the virtual Jetranger cockpit is the absence of the compass which is mounted in a molded panel forward of the right front door, and the absence of the annunciator in the Virtual Cockpit.The next three images (the first two of which are actual photos) show the overall shape of the instrument panel/radio stack apparatus. You'll notice that it is more rounded off and isn't as boxy as the depiction on Flight Simulator.a>a>a>While I would like these features to be addressed, I realize that at this point the developers are at a "features dropped rather than added" stage, but I would recommend that if there's allotment for improvement prior to release, I would like to see these changes in Flight Simulator X. If not this next release, then most definitely the release afterwards.Helicopter flight has always been recognized as the "#### stepchild" of Flight Simulator, and IMHO is underrated as helicopters play as much a vital and important role in everyday life as do other forms of aviation. And as the JetRanger is the most popular helicopter ever built, the detail incorporated into the Flight Simulator depiction should match the detail found in the real JetRanger itself.

Guest adevins

I agree with you, from the screens released so far the 206 does seem to have been overhauled, hopefully the VC will receive one too.personally I'd like to be able lower the collective fully when doing an auto :)