Sign in to follow this  
Guest archtx

Can someone explain performance difference between demo...

Guest cmhodge

I know there is a general thread on demo 2 below, but I think a lot of people would appreciate a separate thread on this issue. I'm one of the poor souls who had pretty good results with demo 1, but noticably worse results with demo 2. Can anyone (hopefully from Aces!) give some reasons why this might be the case? Here's my system:2.2 GHz AMD Athalon 3200+ processor.1.0 GB RAM128MB ATI RADEON 9600 AGPthanks,Chris

Guest archtx

I'm not from Aces, but I have a low end system and will tell you what works for me.Turn off all autogen.Turn up target rate to unlimited.Turn off all AI planes, cars and boats.Adjust scenery, aircraft, weather, etc. to your satisfaction. Then slowly add in some autogen. Even at sparse it's not too bad.Maybe add boats and AI planes. The cars are a killer for me. Even turned down low.Fly around while you're making the adjustments....and only adjust one thing at a time. You'll soon figure out what is eating your frame rates.One more thing...after starting FSX, go to Task Manager and kill unnecessary processes and set your FSX priority to high. That generally picks up a few frames for me, and seems to improve stutters.Good Luck!

Guest cmhodge

Archtx,Thanks for taking the time to respond. I've been playing with sliders and concluded I may have to use 1x water effects. I was getting decent results using 2x water in Demo 2, which brings me to my original question: what did they add (or remove) that would make such a difference between Demo 1 and Demo 2?

Guest archtx

>brings me to my original question: what did they add (or>remove) that would make such a difference between Demo 1 and>Demo 2?I'm not sure how to answer that. In an earlier post, one of the Aces team members stated that demo 2 uses the same code as the final version. Demo 1 used the code from an earlier beta.Quite a few people have noticed lower frame rates with demo 2, and it may take a while for everyone to figure out what causes the lower frame rates. Meanwhile, keep tinkering with the sliders, and report back on what works best for you. One other point...it is now possible to save multiple configurations and load them. You might decide on a different setting for flying around the islands (better water and boats) and something else for a cross-country VFR over land (more autogen). You can even set up a "performance mode" when you need better frame rates on final and landing.For me personally, cars and beautiful water can wait until I have better hardware. Sparse autogen looks OK for now. I am most looking foward to Missions.PSI have noticed that textures and Autogen seem to "load" faster within the sim. That may be one change. Before when I panned around I would get "ghosts" for a second on the trees. That has gone away for me.