Sign in to follow this  
Guest Valkyrie321

Map view without airplane? Key shortcuts for map?

Guest laer

Is there a way to get rid of the plane in the map view? Often, I want to have to rely on my own navigation to find out where I am, yet the map view is the only way to get frequency info on VORs, airports, etc.Is there any way to scroll/zoom around the map with the keys... and not having to do the tedious 'click on the edge' deal?Thanks...

Guest Valkyrie321

Not that I know of. I do the same thing when in flight with the GPS, and I have found it to sometimes be a crutch for me rather then relying on good VFR or IFR flying. I recommend gathering as much info as you can from air charts (as most of not all of the information regarding freqs etc is correct if the map is up to date) as well as pre flight by using the flight planner. One way to avoid using the map in game is to learn how to use the GPS, as it will alleviate the feeling of cheating the system... as the GPS is indeed a real system. From the GPS you can get most if not all of the information such as VORs, NDBs and airport contact information.So in conclusion, get acquianted with pre flight data collection, and/or get air charts.-Cody

Guest laer

Hey, small world! Hello again!Hmmm... GPS, eh? Yes, true, it is REAL... but I'd rather not use the GPS either (when I'm flying the old planes). Guess I'm old fashioned... (and I'm not even an old guy!).Ya, I've recently just been gathering all the info on the map screen first, writing it down on good old 'analog' paper, and then setting off on my voyage without consulting the map screen. I have no real maps (except the one of southern Ontario (Canada) from my university course... which is really handy.It's a shame you can't switch the plane off, though, and just use the map view as a map (and a lookup for frequencies, etc).Then there's that awful 'click on the side' scrolling method... ugh. How about some arrow key key shortcuts! Sheesh! x)I actually used the real map to try and fly up to my friend's cottage (virtually). It was one of my first serious attempts at VOR use (...at least in terms of a real journey somewhere, rather than just trying it out). Good news was that I actually successfully made it there... Bad news is FSX doesn't have that lake there (...but did have the adjacent one). That was also the trip where I ALMOST landed without the floats down... I just realized it within a few feet of hitting the water, and managed to pull up and go in for a (floats down) landing... Whew! I guess I was still frazzled by my friend's cottage (and lake) disappearing!

Guest Valkyrie321

Small world indeed. When I first replied to this message I didn't realize it was you!Yeah, one of my biggest gripes with FS9 was the map view. I am much like you in that I don't like hand holding. The few times I use the GPS during flight I get kinda ticked at myself.I have a ton of sectionals for Alaska and I typically set down with a flight computer and work out my routes. Sometimes, if I am lazy I let FSX do it, but I always make it a point to jot down times, headings, and relevant frequencies. During flight sessions I also make it a point to visually correct my flight path using VFR references. I make my turns over small lakes or important landmarks etc. In a typical flight I will use NDBs, VORs and old VFR techniques to include time and speed to judge distance, then I compare them to each other. I am almost always spot on (although last night I missed Port Valdez by turning down the wrong bay... I fixed my mistake quickly by reconfirming some simple geographical landmarks.)