Sign in to follow this  
lgcharlot

Solution for OOM-CTD's in high traffic areas

Ever since I first installed MSFS last September, it has been unstable and prone to Crash-To-Desktop issues. My hardware should be adequate: a 6-core Ryzen 5-3600, 64 gigs of DRAM, and a Radeon RX-5500-XT GPU with 8 gB of VRAM. Running MSFS, I have never seen the CPU go past 35% utilization, or DRAM utilization exceed 24gB. My GPU is barely adequate, and I wish I had spent the $$$ for an RX-6800-XT, so I could get 30 fps at High or Ultra graphics level, but at least it runs okay at Medium graphics level and doesn't drop below 20 fps. The sim never seems to give me trouble when flying in Alaska, Northern Canada, or anywhere else away from big cities, and I think I have finally stumbled on the reason: AI Traffic. Even at Low graphics quality, the sim crashes any time I try to fly into KSFO in any of the big airliners, and it sometimes crashes even when I am trying to land a prop plane like the Caravan or the G-36. For a while, it wouldn't even load a saved FLT or PLN file if the departure airport was KSFO: the sim would CTD during the loading process before it ever got to the "ramp" and displayed the Ready To Fly screen. When I turn down all of the AI Traffic (Aircraft, Road Vehicles, Airport Vehicles, Airport Humans), the Out-Of-Memory CTD's clear up and the sim becomes both more stable and more responsive to user inputs.
So, the issue seems to be that the sim is choking on memory issues involving AI Traffic, even though I have the sliders set to only 50%. Yet I have 64 gB of DRAM installed and the sim never seems to use more than about 35~40% of the DRAM even when I have Graphics on Ultra. Does anyone know, is there some setting in a CFG file somewhere that is set too low, and needs to be manually increased so that the sim can allocate the memory it needs to handle AI traffic? Or is this whole issue a known bug that Asobo needs to fix? Anyway, the sim seems to run okay as long as I turn off AI traffic, although it makes flights in the San Francisco Bay Area kind of lonely, and a little weird, too: you expect the sky to be crowded in the Bay Area, even late at night.