Sign in to follow this  
jmorgan11

Flightplan differs from Little Navmap and MSFS

Hi,

Little Navmap is amazing, it's so much for free!!! That's rare these days.  If the guy that makes this application is on this forum then thank you Mr Barthel.

I'm very new to flight sims, as in MSFS is the first one I've ever played and I'm kicking myself being 45 that this is the first time I've ever tried one! I say that as the issue could be my knowledge of how all this stuff works which I'm trying to learn as fast as I can.

I think I've read on here and other places that MSFS2020 doesn't have all nav aids and I presume this is what is wrong with my flight plan below and others I've been creating.

Top is the plan I made which had an ILS approach and the below pic from the game is what it spat out when I imported it.

I have no doubt that it's either something I've done (or not done) or MSFS. I've updated my scenery library in Little NavMap to import nav aids etc.

Can anyone tell me if it's me and if so what can I do to improve? Or is it MSFS and if it is, is there a way around it to get it to work properly and follow my plans?

Do other flight planning programs have the same issues? like Navigraph?

oQsjVmf.jpg

AWBcP3Q.jpg

Thank you for your time.

Also I forgot to ask... Can real pilots use an external program to create plans which they can upload into their G1000's? Or do they enter it all in directly while in the plane?

1) After you've imported scenery library you have to switch off Navigraph in LNM and choose only MS FS2020 nav database as a source of nav points.
It can be done via LNM->SceneryLibrary->Do not use Navigraph database.
Since this moment LNM should use only points that were imported to  scenery library from FS2020

2) In general most of the pilots type in flight plans manually because real world external software is expensive (so mainly rich airlines use external software)
From the operational point it doesn't matter you import flight plan from external programs or type in manually.

3) FS2020 isn't good program if you want to train IFR flights  as a real world pilot. The only its pro is nice looking realistic graphics and that's all. So it's unbeatable if you want to fly classic VFR flight because it's easy to recognize terrain.
For IFR flights are better simulators: Lockheed-Martin P3D or Laminar Research XP11 - BTW there are many official ICAO/FAA certified simulators' places/sites for real pilots that are based on P3D or XP11.
I haven't known about any officially certified simulator based on FS2020, and I suppose it won't be possible until Microsoft correct all errors in their product.

4) It's a long long way in front of you to learn enough knowledge to fly as a virtual "real pilot" - I suggest to register as a pilot in one of online simulators network - VATSIM (https://www.vatsim.net/) or/and IVAO (https://www.ivao.aero/)  and begin your career as an online simulator pilot. Personally I'm registered in both networks, but mainly I fly on IVAO network. But doesn't matter which network you try to fly - in both networks are used procedures and operations from real world (attitude "as real as it gets"), in both are controllers (yes, it's possible also to begin career as an ATC controller), ...etc.
If you are interested in - here is IVAO training documentation WIKI page: https://wiki.ivao.aero/en/home/training/mediawiki/index

5) Remember - flying as a real world pilot (or online simulator network) is - reading, reading, learning, learning!  Many knowledge, many procedures to acquire, etc.
Flying online isn't simply "press button" to switch on autopilot that makes everything. Better to choose real world similar learning path  - at the beginning start as a GA pilot (Cessna 172 is very good), then migrate to multiengine propellers (BE58 for example), then to light business jets (Cessna Citation for example), then to medium size jets (B738/A320) and at the end to heavy irons (B777/A340/B747...). 
In opposite to real world in virtual flying is even possible to fly as a pilot of Concorde, I've got many of online hours as a Concorde's pilot and many IVAO Supersonic Tours  and I can say it's not easy to fly on this Bird but on the other hand it's a really great satisfaction. BTW- there was less  pilots of Concorde in the real world than people that was in the space (really) 😛

6) I've noticed some errors in your flight plan:
- flight plan is IFR but altitude is 11500 (wrong!) - +500ft atitude ( +5 level) is for VFR flight only. IFR are flown at equal thousands of feets altitudes (or equal tenth of levels above transition altitude)
-flight is Westbound - for Saudi Arabia (normal E/W hemispherical rule) it should be performed at EVEN flight level. So no FL110 (~11000ft) like here but only FL100, FL120, FL140, .... levels are possible in this direction
- after RESAL fix point you can cutoff/remove all other points and perform only ILS-33L (or other if the wind is other). So flight plan can look like:  OEPS RESAL OERK OERY OETH
OERY and OETH are alternate airports, for IFR commercial flights alternate airports (minimum 1) are obligatory at flight plans - alternates are the places where you can divert when it's impossible to land at the  destination airport (because of weather or other conditions).

7) I invite you to IVAO forum (http://forum.ivao.aero/index.php) where is possible to ask or discuss about many real world procedures and other things concern aviation area 🙂

Regards,
Piotr

ps. and really don't care about  age, I've started my virtual online "career" at similar age to your 🤪
Age isn't important here - in virtual world, only knowledge counts (and passion of course) 🙂

Edited by ppgas

Never give up ...  - here are details of the whip-round: https://zrzutka.pl/en/pewr2d  -> to help my younger son fights against Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (blood cancer).

Thank you very much for your in-depth assistance, I appreciate the time you've taken to write it up for a total stranger! Thank you.

I'm spending most of my time when I'm not at work out of game at the moment with reading and trying to learn, I'm actually finding it's half the enjoyment for me and presume that'll will never stop in this new world I've entered!

Thank you so much again, it's pointed me in some good directions.

I hope you have a nice weekend.