Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

Why Vista may slow down games.

Here is an article I found that may explain why the Vista OS may run games slower than XP.http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000688.htmlThe entire article is quite interesting but the part that really is pertinent for us FS users is towards the bottom of the article (not counting reader responses) where the writer explains that Vista, unlike XP attempts to load all available memory with things that it "thinks" we will need or use. That is, unlike XP, Vista treats all memory like a cache and doesn't like to have any empty memory in the system. The author stated that while he was playing an online game (Battlefield 2) his system was "sluggish" and he was having constant disk access. He determined that Vista was trying to populate all available memory while the game was in progress so this had the effect of bogging down his system. Anyway this is what I think he was trying to say. An interesting article, recommended reading. Bob

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Never had that issue with it at all. I play FSX, Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, Company of Heroes, and most of the Brothers in Arms series. All of these games run better for me on Vista than they did on XP... I say again... for me.FSX is the only game so far that I had issues with.Memory management seemed to be good on Vista, I don't think the machine got sluggy once, and never crashed it either. Ran RC1 for a month and a bit, then RC2 for a month.Just my two cents. Maybe the author had other reasons for the memory problem, he doesn't show what he was running in the background... nor does he state whether the machine was configured to run under the system memory management or program memory management... there is a choice.