Sign in to follow this  
Guest jaapverduijn

Can't exit FSX anymore...

Greetings all!My computer is only 4 days old, and so is my FSX. I installed, uninstalled and reinstalled the latter several times on account of having buggered up locations and such. So far, so good: validating is no problem, and the latest install went through without any glitch.FSX looks good, seems to work well, until I hit "alt" in order to change whatever needs/wants changeing. After further hitting f'rinstance "options" and "display", the screen simply freezes and only the infamous "ctrl alt del" offers me a way out of an FSX that "doesn't react".Something similar happens when I want to exit a flight by hitting "esc": the screen freezes, and when I hit "esc" again it unfreezes and the flight goes on. Sometimes (not always, but sometimes), before the latter action takes place, I see for half a second the little screen with "End this flight" and such, but it is immediately "overlaid" by the unfreezing and then ongoing flight. There's no way I can exit FSX in the normal way, only via "ctrl alt del" which, of course, means that no bloody thing can be saved either.Does anybody know how to solve this issue? It doesn't seem to be an FSX bug, because with the first two installs everything worked alright. So it must be me who did something stupid (nothing new here - grin!): can somebody please "unstupid" me?TIA.Jaap Verduijn.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Jaap, from your description it sounds as if you are completely unable to access any of the menu screens - which is not entirely good! It could well be a graphics driver problem, as the screen mode changes when in the menus. In my experience new computers are often shipped with old drivers. If it is a new model graphics card then drivers are even more likely to be an issue. It's probably worth installing the latest drivers.Another well-known fix is to remove or rename the fsx.cfg file. FSX will then create a new version, which does sometimes fix problems.Finally, you can access menus directly by key commands. For example, to save your flight, hold down the ALT key and press the f and s keys in turn. This takes you to the save flight screen. But if it is a graphics driver problem, it will probably lock up anyway.Good luck!Best regards, Chris

Hi Chris!Thanks for your reply, especially the part about deleting/renaming the config file. I know that this works in FS9, but considering my rather small and shaky experience with FSX I hadn't thought of applying it to the new sim. I'll give it a try now!It can't be a driver issue: the computer shop installed the 158.19's for my GeForce 8600GTS, I believe they are the most recent out-of-beta drivers. Also they installed the newest drivers for chipset and CPU and such.But hey: I reckon removing the fsx.cfg file and let the sim create a new one, will do the trick. Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted!Jaap.