Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stoopy

Soaring - ideas on what WX settings create best thermals?

Howdy all - would like to say I certainly am enjoying all aspects of FSX with the update and am planning on doing some extended cross-country in the glider, and possibly in some other models besides the new default one. I'm well-versed in soaring techniques and the only thing I'm trying to do is find the best (or good) conditions for extended thermal creation so I can at least have a good chance of thermal hunting on my way to the destination. I've read the SDK and there's a small amount in there about this, but has anyone got any input on weather settings, even advanced or basic, that would help generate a healthy amoutn of thermal activity? Temps aloft, or what temps at what altitudes, and cloud cover, if any? Looking for some good strong thermals to get me up to 11K or higher for some long legs between thermals.I realize this isn't the "ultimate" soaring simulator such as Condor, et al., but it's good enough for me and Ethel and the chickens. I am using "natural" thermal visualization since 'schematic' seems a bit of a cheat, and only once have I seen birds soaring in thermals....as I was putting by in a Beech 18! :)Any and all suggestions welcome and thanks in advance for input!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!