Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bud

Another FSX Performance Query

I hope I'm at the correct place. I appear, like many, to be having a variety of probs with FSX. Mine is a fairly recent installation and just about nothing has gone smoothly. However, I'm at the stage where I've been able to get one or two flights as opposed to messin' around with simconnect/and a world of settings.I have a reasonable system - 6 quad motherboard, dual core processor, 2 gigs of ballistix RAM, big power supply and so on. I also use the TH2G thingie and undock all the instrument panels of my planes onto separate monitors in a home cockpit config. For this reason, I am uncertain of the sort of performance I should expect. Generally speaking, I'm happy with anything around the 18/20 fps mark - I have a target of 25 set.OK, I've flown with just two planes - the default 737 and the LevelD 767. I'm using Act. Sky X for wx, AI traffic by MTX - at a low setting of 30 - and Rad. Contact for ATC. Each flight from and to default airports, I've had the same experience - at departure, I get fps around the 22/24 mark. At arrival, the fps are down as low as 5 and have always been in single figures. Perhaps the problem here is that I use two video cards - a 7900 and a 7800 GTX each of which has only 256 mem. What I'm wondering is if it were possible that during the course of a flight, the vid card memory becomes exhausted and more system memory is pinched provoking an fps drop. Or is there some other explanation?Advice would be much appreciated.Bud

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>What I'm wondering is if it were possible that during the course of>a flight, the vid card memory becomes exhausted and more system>memory is pinched provoking an fps drop. Or is there some other>explanation?Bud,Just give me a couple of days and I get myself configurated exactly the same as you are. I let you know when I eventually get the config up and running and spent another couple of days testing with different graphic card configs. The "some other explanation" will probably take additional two or three weeks to investigate. But be patient. As soon as you wire me the money needed, I'll get going. I've sent you a pm with my bank account no.Ulf B :-)Just kidding. But your question is quite impossible to answer without doing a trace with a replica of your configuration. All other answers would be a shot in the dark. But if your'e lucky, somebody out there may answer your q.

Hello UlfA substantial amount of cash is on its way. Well actually that's not true. I would, though, be grateful for anything you could suggest. I suppose pathetically grateful would be nearer the mark. So far this FSX business has given me nightmares.Bud