Sign in to follow this  
Guest D17S

Trouble installing FSX on new C2D rig...

Guest unitedpilot36

So I've got a new C2D E6750 rig and you can all guess, I'm pretty anxious to fire up FSX. But of course, there's a problem. I can't install the sucker, when I pop the dvd in and it reads, it says "This update package could not be opened. Verify that the update package exists." ???It's torcher!I've got a shiny new C2D and I can't fire up FSX. So anyway, I need your help guys so I can start cranking out screenshots.

Guest D17S

I had a year old CD/DVD drive and had to update the drive's firmware. The drive would not read the FSX disk. After the update, all went normally. It seems MS is using a newer format for their DVDs. Maybe?

Guest unitedpilot36

Well I copied the discs content onto my HDD and tried from there but to no avail. :(

Guest D17S

Of course, you know the disks have to be copied to your HD as ISO files. Then, the newly created ISO files are "mounted" and run with a virtual drive? Once you have the ISOs created on your HD, mount disk 1's ISO with the virtual drive. It should autostart just like a regular disk. If not, go into 'Computer' and fire it off manually. Once the 1st disk is installed, it will ask for disk 2. De-mount disk 1's ISO and Mount disk 2's ISO. Click 'OK' and away you'll go.Pretty cool stuff. I rarely create actual program disks as backups anymore. With smaller programs, I just dump a bunch of related ISOs onto big ol' DVD and call it a day. This will do both jobs:http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/...a-Edition.shtml

Guest unitedpilot36

Alright cool, creating the ISO now.

Guest D17S

This appears to be a patch package that is attempting to update an existing install . . . and it can't find it. As a trouble shoot, snag a FSX torrent and see if that will install. This will tell you if your op system is OK. I've seen problems with installers in XP before, nothing yet in Vista. Knock wood. If the torrent installs OK, immediately remove it! This for troubleshooting only and we want Aces to live long and prosper. You probably have bad disks.

Guest unitedpilot36

These discs appear to work, I just installed FSX on another pc using these. :

Guest D17S

From the command line run sfc /scannowThis will check and repair all system files. Then run a chkdsk. (Computer > Cdrive > properties > tools > error checking.)Or consider a reinstall of the op system. Might be faster if this is all fresh. If all this is nogo, start looking at your optical drive and drive interface(actually, I'd start there . . . actually, we did!) Make sure it has the latest firmware.