Sign in to follow this  
Guest SanH

What is your final approach speed to Kai Tak ?

I read all the info I can find and I'm still struggling. 9Dragons recommend 1770 feet over OM. So I'll usually try to maintain around 150 kts at 30% flaps and 50% throttle at 20-30 % fuel left from there and follow the ILS vertical descent needle (flying manually of course). Then turn following the lead in lights with sharp turn around MM to line up. Since it's all manual, I can't use the auto's vertical descent rate. So my question is - how do you do it - what is your tried, tested and true approach procedure. Even if I go off to the left of the 088 usual approach to give myself a more relaxed turn - I can never get it right on a regular basis. Is it all practise or am I missing something ?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Its all practice. Nothing else. I have been flying FS since version 5 and i can nail the runway with any jetliner in any weather, including zero visibility - and i mean staying on the glidescope, not being all over the place. I didnt do lots of reading or pick up tips. Just fly. Keep doing it and you will get better and better. Just make sure you come in as slow as possible. Learn what engine speed you need to keep you at around 140-150kts and it will give you one less thing to worry about. After 20 approaches i can guarantee you will be better than you were on the first!Have fun.San.