Sign in to follow this  

FSX SP1 or SP2 ??

Guest RichardL

I'm sure there is some truth to your point Glenn. However, for someone that has never tried to offer a compatible FSX add-on, I have no idea just how much work would be involved.It does appear to me, that we may have very little to choose from when the next FS version is released.Richard

Guest Wise22

Like many others, I flat out don't have a choice - I just can't run SP2 on my Nvidia 680i SLI XP Pro based system.And it's not 'operator error'. I've un/re-installed many times, often starting with a fresh Windows install and always carefully installing add-ons by running each one first before progressing to the next. It never matters - I always run into CTD's shortly after SP2 installation. SP1 on the other hand is pretty stable.One theory I've heard is a FSX/Nvidia driver incompatibility with my setup type.And I'm not holding out much hope of a fix anytime soon.

And that's the problem with most customers (and we can't blame them).They don't know the effort required to make something work under a new operating system (which a new FS version essentially is).But for some reasons they do expect their suppliers to put in whatever effort is required (and many of them think for some reason that that effort will be minimal) and do it for free.For many years that effort was indeed often not too great, as the core engine was kept backwards compatible to a degree that was causing ever more problems when it came to adding new functionality.As a result customers started complaining that each new version was "only an update" to the previous one.With FSX that chain is starting to be broken, and the result is major rework required to make many things work in FSX, and quite a few products that simply can't be made to work at all.With the service packs to FSX that breaking with the past is continuing, causing some problems with older addons that might have appeared to work with the RTM version.