Sign in to follow this  
Guest David Ketchum

Reducing texture sizes in FSX

Guest David Ketchum

Hi,A while back a fellow named Matt Fox wrote a batch file that, along with a couple of image file utilities, would greatly reduce the texture sizes in FSX across the board. I downloaded his batch file a year or so ago and it worked fantastic. I've recently re-installed FSX, and now I need to reduce texture sizes again to be able to use complex add-ons like the PMDG 747 and still have decent performance.Matt Fox's website that originally hosted this batch file has apparently been taken down. Does anyone have this batch file or know of a place where it can be downloaded? I know there are several freeware texture sets available here on the AVSIM library, but Matt's technique reduced literally thousands of textures in the World/Scenery folder. This is really what I'm needing to do.Thanks!

Guest David Ketchum

Well, if I can't find Matt's file, I'll write my own and post it in the library I guess. Time to roll up my sleeves....

Guest Nils79

David, i don't think that there is a tweak that will allow you to enjoy FSX + complex add-ons on an old/weak pc. I assume that your pc is old/weak, because of your wish for reduced textures. Also not all reduced textures in the library are still working with the SPs.On Phil Taylor's blog you could find some tweaks for the FSX.cfg, but there is also no magic tweak.I would recommend you to install both SPs (if you haven't already) and to use the sliders to configure FSX for your system (global texture resolution, lod radius, terrain texture resolution, effects and water quality and turn off bloom in DX9 and road traffic) and if you still have the feeling that you need reduced textures and other tweaks then better use FS9 for complex add-ons.

Guest David Ketchum

Hi Nils,I'm trying to run the PMDG 747 FSX version with an Athlon 64 x2 6000+ and a Powercolor ATI X1950 pro 256 meg video card. I actually get very smooth frame rates per se in the virtual cockpit with this setup, it's just that I get frequent stuttering with the outside scenery. Your advice is of course very good and I have indeed implemented your suggestions during my previous tweaking.I think I can achieve something though by the across-the-board texture reduction for FSX. I did it before when I was running a much older, single core rig and actually obtained decent frame rates with G/A type planes. I'll post back with my results once I either obtain Matt Fox's batch file or succeed in making my own. Can't hurt to try! :)Thanks for replying!