Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

ATTN NICK N O&O Defrag SAGA.....

To keep from clogging up the original "WOW" thread any MORE. (Sorry for that) I'm posting my O&O defrag version issue that I'm having here for NickN to see, since I cannot PM him from this forum. (profile blocked) Here is the latest email from the O&O defrag team that has me thinking, "Hmmmmmm":Dear Norm,I've spoken with our development department and the colleagues are quite surprised because there was nothing changed on the engine that could cause this problem. Anyways, if you prefer O&O Defrag 8 instead of the current version I will send you a downgrade key. Just give feedback.Best regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen--Brigitte NillO&O Software GmbH - Creating Solutions!http://www.oo-software.com/Am Borsigturm 48, 13507 Berlin, GermanyInternational: Tel. +49 30 4303 4303 / Fax +49 30 4303 4399Germany: Tel. (030) 4303 4303 / Fax (030) 4303 4399"Norm Owings" schrieb:> Hi Brigitte> > When O&O version 10 runs a COMPLETENAME defrag it leaves a space in the > sectors between the files and does not compact them closely together. That > is fine, however if a SPACE defrag is run for any reason it fills in those > gaps left by the COMPLETENAME defrag and makes the original defrag, useless> > O&O v8 and 8.5 COMPLETENAME defrag compacts the space between the files and > therefore a SPACE defrag run as regular maintenance does not hinder or > remove the advantages of a COMPLETENAME defrag.> > Also, by allowing free space to exist in sectors between files as the v10 > NAME defrag allows, it lets a hard drive fragment faster by letting that > free space fill up. Caches that are simply temp areas take up space in the > critical file zone instead of collecting at the end of the data block, etc.> > The fact that the slack sector space is present in version 10 makes the > title useless for my needs. I prefer version 8.5 which functions within the > specifications I require.> > E.N.OwingsSo why do they NOT mention version 8.5? IS there a difference between 8 & 8.5? I'm sooo confused.....Please advise.*:-*

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Its fine, you can leave it in the thread.. LOL1. First they tell you they wont sell you a key2. Then they tell you they will sell you a key3. If you want, send them this back=======================================BrigittePlease have you development department run a full COMPLETENAME defrag on a drive with version 10. Once it is complete, ask them to look at the sectors using the CLUSTER INSPECTOR, simply click on any data area that holds the files on the hard drive. Make sure it is not the MFT, PAGE FILE or other and they are in fact looking at the data on the drive. They will notice EMPTY sectors being placed between in the files in sequence.That does not happen with O&O 8 or 8.5 and there is no EMPTY space between the files. They are in fact compacted together.If the SPACE defrag is run after a COMPLETENAME defrag those EMPTY areas will FILL with data, effectively destroying the benefit of the NAME defrag.Please send a key for version 8.5.yadda yadda yadda===========================================Good luck.. believe me, your wont be the first that sent them thisYour getting your key so thats all that counts.