Sign in to follow this  
Guest fsxmissionguy

How I got FSX to work well for me...

Guest SpeedBird192

As some of you may or may not know, I've spent many moons trying to get FSX to work well under Vista and didn't have much success, hoping Vista SP1 would save the day actually only made matters worse not better.I'm also a 3rd party dev, so I was disappointed I could get this working on Vista, the various releases of FSX didn't help resolve the problems either (actually made matters more complicated).So I finally decide to do away with Vista and go back to a dedicated WinXP SP2. And what a difference! Wow, after resolving some image quality issues via FSX.CFG - specifically "ForceFullScreenVSynce=True" and setting the nVidia Control Panel to VSync - Force On. Installed my MegaSceneryX Hawaii with SP upgrade, Installed ActiveSkyX and GraphicX with SP2 upgrade and viola! 30 fps at 1920 x 1080 and crisp clear textures, dense scenery and autogen, traffic, sea, air, road, so impressive that I'll post some screen shot later tonight and maybe even a small movie. Also include all my specific graphics settings.And it wasn't the one glass of wine making me enjoy it either.Sure no DX10 preview mode, but to be honest I really don't miss it and I don't miss Vista either -- I'd much rather have my performance back under WinXP with a few less bugs. Once again, I can start enjoying simulated flying on the PC. The road to success was difficult, but finally worth it, what a reward!Word has it from the inside Redmond, that Microsoft have the expanded the OS dev team to get the next OS out in 2009 rather than 2010. It would appear Microsoft are anxious to get Vista behind them. And if the next OS follows the same path as Windows Server 2008, I think we can enjoy better performance as the that platform is highly scalable and can load only what is need. I honestly think Microsoft is finally beginning to see the light.

Guest fsxmissionguy

DRM = suxorDX10 = not ready for prime timeHP = Don't release Vista drivers, force people to buy new printers ... CHA-CHING!Result: Windows MEResult: Billions in lost profitsHopefully, Redmond has learned an important lesson, but I'm not sure it has.It allowed third parties to dictate the user experience.Third parties drove its design with respect to DRM; it allowed third parties to control its display on the screen with respect to DX10; and it allowed third parties to decide the real TCO for Vista by allowing folks like HP to decide not to support the OS for older hardware.Once third parties are dictating your user experience, you can just forget about it folks.