Sign in to follow this  
Guest snomhf

Reno racer overheating

Guest snomhf

I apologize if this question has been answered somewhere in this forum. I sure haven't found it if it has.I cannot fly the P-51 racers from the Acceleration pack at all. The engine begins to overheat almost before I'm off the runway. The first time it happened, I realized that I probably could not run it full power so the next time I was very careful to keep the manifold pressure in the green (< 50") and my RPMs under 25 but I'm certainly not going to win any races that way but if I try to push beyond those levels in any significant way, I begin to get engine damage. The couple of missions I've tried, I may as well be flying a Cessna as if I push at all my engine blows up! I've searched through all the doc I can find and don't find anything that addresses this. The FSX doc mentions using ADI to cool the engine when it high power but the damage gets done so fast that I never even get a chance to use it.If anyone can shed some light on this for me or direct me to some documentation on it I would really appreciate it. I would love to do some of the pylon race missions but it's no fun when you putting along getting lapped because you're scared to death of damaging your engine.Thanks!

Guest S1mPilot

Have you seen this thread, it contains posts by P-12C. He's the guy who wrote that mission and he's also the person who flew the ai aircraft that's in that mission.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...40878&mode=fullHope it helps, good luck. It helped me beat them.edit:Watch temps. You're gonna have to throttle back a little at times. I throttle back just a little on the straights, and floor it through the turns. Imo the extra power is best spent getting through the turns where the aircraft is under more g's, or when trying to overtake.If you get out in front of them ease off a little. Be smooth and bank gracefully. Keep it down on the deck. Try to minimize rudder useage, I try not to use it at all.You don't have to keep rpms at 2500 during the in lap, If I remember correctly you can get away with 3000~ or so without killing your engine.edit:Here's another good thread, http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=set..._page=show_mesg

Guest snomhf

Great links S1mPilot!Thank you very much!That's all I wanted is just a little info on this. I've gotten pretty good with the pylon racing in the E300 but can't do squat in the P-51. I can tell these threads you've referenced are going to help me a lot.I really appreciate it!-mark