Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

Changing the Centre of Gravity

Guest 747-400 luva

HiCan anyone help me and tell me how I can change the centre of gravity of an aircraft. Please helpThanksEvan

Guest Gary Buska

In reality you can not change the center of gravity on any plane as it is part of the design process, however every aircraft has a aircraft cfg file and inside of that file you will find a weight and balance section like below[WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]max_gross_weight = 2095 // (pounds)empty_weight = 1345 // (pounds)reference_datum_position = 1.8, 0, 0 // (feet) distance from FlightSim Reference position, which is: (1/4 chord, centerline, waterline)empty_weight_CG_position = -1.4, 0, 0 // (feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from specified datummax_number_of_stations = 50station_load.0 = 170, -5.9, 0.0, 0.0 //Weight(lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)station_name.0 = "Pilot" ;Moments of Inertiaempty_weight_pitch_MOI = 717empty_weight_roll_MOI = 395empty_weight_yaw_MOI = 856empty_weight_coupled_MOI = 0.0Notice the line empty_weight_CG_position by altering the numbers in this line can have a effect on a aircraft. I have to caution you changing numbers can have a adverse effect. What ever you do make a copy of the original file before you alter it.

Guest jshyluk

Or are you simply discussing the loading of an aircraft with fuel and passengers? FSX has a simple calculator that lets you set the amount of fuel and passenger weight in your aircraft, in the FUEL menu. As you change numbers, a crosshair on a picture of an aircraft will move, indicating visually how the change in weight will affect your aircraft.You can do stuff like load up the pilot's side with fuel and 600-lb passengers and leave the co-pilot's side empty, and see what happens. It's not a very detailed system, though. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM