Sign in to follow this  

Flight Deck Views

Is there any "officially" posted information with regard to setting the forward view from the flight deck for FS2002? I remember seeing something on FS2000 about setting the view at .55, but I have seen nothing on it for FS2002. Also, any baseline recommendation on setting the View_Forward_DIR angle in the panel config file? I have seen it range from 0 to 4.5.ThanksSteve

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I don't think there is a zoomvalue that suits everything. I use 1.2, based on the perception I get in real aircraft and how the width of the end of the runway matches the width of the start of the runway at a given position on final......but that's just me.Another thing to consider is that the sun is pretty much 2 degrees in width - the same size as any normal thumb viewed on arms lenght. This gives me a value of 0.85 based on my monitor size and distance from my face, but I find it too low. As correct as possible landing perception is to me the most important factor.At zooms like 0.55 (yikes) the end of the runway seem to me like a very tiny dot far far away - in real life it appears to have a certain width ratio to the threshold.1.4 seem to me to be the 'perfect' number for me, but with the odd feature that when I am on final in heavy crosswind - the crabbed condition removes the runway from the view - not a very good thing obviously.As for the up/down DIR angle, it depends on the ratio between X and Y on the 3D view in panel.cfg (usually located in the bottom) and the height / direction you are viewing the panel in. Again, there are no 'perfect' numbers for all panel configurations.As a side note; on the Baron I moved my position in the seat backwards and up, increased the zoom to 1.2, added a slight tilt downwards on the head (2D-panel, 3D VC need manual adjust), and added more pitch effect to the flaps so that I could see the runway from approach until touchdown (not during the last parts of the flare).Don't know if it is 100% correct, but that's how I like it. May not suit everyone.

I set my zoom usually to 0.75, giving me more the natural perception angle of our eyes compressed to the width of the screen. I'm also designing my VC panel to be viewed with this zoom value. Learned this from flying JetRanger, with that zoom you see enough from it's panel and the outside.Just my preferred settings.Best RegardsDoc