Sign in to follow this  

Strobe Lights Fom the INSIDE?

Does anyone know what governs where (x, y) a strobe light reflection occurs in an INTERIOR, i.e., the left and right 2-D view? Marcel Felde put out an excellent effects package some time ago that shows such an effect from an inside perspective but I would like to adjust where it appears in the scene for one or more specific airplanes. Marcel suggested to me in a private email that the particular aircraft I was interested in had the position hardwired into the mdl file and maybe that will turn out to be true. However, I just spent some time browsing Microsoft's mdl, aircraft container, and effects SDKs and found nothing in them that suggested the answer. The aircraft.cfg parameters specified in the Lights section are limited to the light position when seen from the EXTERIOR. If someone already knows the answer, I sure would appreciate hearing it.Stan V.

Guest Firestriker

Here is something you might look into. The effect file itself has a section named Properties. The &l;Properties&r; section defines the view modes in which the effect will be displayed. Looks like this:&l;Properties&r;Spot=1Tower=1Map=1You might try changing it to this:&l;Properties&r;Cockpit=1VirtualCockpit=1Spot=1Tower=1Map=1

Let me try this again as it appears my first attempt at my response post never made it ...Thanks, Lou for your suggestion. However, I was already using Marcel's effects file, and the line you suggested was already in there. It has the desired effect of forcing a strobe to appear in an interior view but the flashing was in the wrong place in the image. However, since I first wrote my message, I discovered a solution of sorts. I was able to achieve the desired position by playing around with the aircraft.cfg eye viewpoint x,y,z coordinates. This doesn't change the exterior position of the lights but it does shift where you see the flashing from the inside. Unfortunately, it also messes up the perspective for the VC. Since I don't use the VC very often, this solution is fine for me but for the many simmers who do, this would not be acceptable.Thanks anyway.Stan V.

I for one don't like flashing effect inside the VC, although I like to be able to see it. Notice how the beacon effect shines up the tail on the aircraft, but the strobes doesn't.There are some differences in the effects file on the two, and I tried to create a new beacon effect to be placed on the belly of the aircraft, but no success. The new beacon would light up the VC and was of course extremely distracting.So I had to place a strobe on the belly, and call it a beacon with a broken glass :)If anyone have success on a red light, with the same effect function as the strobelight, to be used as a visible but not lightning anything, beacon light, please let me know.