Sign in to follow this  

Some Gmax Questions...

Hey gang,I'm having a few problems...1. Whenever I export any plane from gmax, or FSDS for that matter, it either sinks into the ground and bobs up and down, or it goes and does cart wheels! Any ideas?2. I'm trying to animate in gmax... I've made my animations with two keyframes, etc... plays back beautifuly in gmax... I have things tagged correctly too, e.g. r_gear, rudder... But when I try to see the animations in the game, nothing! Any other thoughts?Thanks for the help!Best,Evan

Guest Firestriker

Evan,For FS2000:Be sure to position the model correctly. World center (0,0,0) should be at about 1/4 of the cord back from the leading edge of the wing and on a line drawn thru the center of the engine(s) vertically.In FSDS, be sure and setup your gear.center, gear.left and gear.right referance points as well as scrape reference points and make sure none of the scrape points are lower than the gear points. After export, check your COG in the .air file. COG calculation is r/l gear verticle height times 1665 for jets/turbo-props or times 1500 for props and is a positive number.For FS2002:In gWax, you can read and transfere measurements directly (if you have your units set to Decimal Feet) to the aircraft.cfg file. Use a point helper and move it around to the various touch and gear points. You can also determine engine location, wing, htail and vtail postiton info this way and calculate sweep and dihedral using just a simple line object with the pivot set to one end and rotating on the pivot to determine the angles. As far as the animations go, be sure you set your first key frame at 1 and not 0.

Guest PhLem

Also be sure you have the parts linked. Parts animated with keyframe animation need to be linked to a part, for example link the right gear to the right engine or the right wing. For non keyframe animation this is not necessary.Good luck Evan.Udo:-wave

EvanHochberg,May I suggest you go to http://www.cue-stom.com/fsim/html/index.shtml Join the forum and look through the many excellant howto's on how to build airplanes. And at this site, you will find documents on how to build fully functional landing gears. There is a two part tutorial on this subject. And also an excellant document on how to build landing lights that will show while you are in the cockpit as well as how they look from exterial fews. In short, if you are using Gmax to build aircraft, this is the site to go to. In short it is a "gold mine" for Gmax designers.cheers,grb :-)