Sign in to follow this  

150HP C172L Available?

I'm a brand new Student Pilot and I'm looking for a FS2002version of my real-world training aircraft.I've seen many versions of the newer 172 but not the 150hp172L model.I've cruised the AVSim file libraries with no luck. Am I just not looking in the right place?Does anyone know where I can find one with a reasonablygood flight model? Free is always better :) but I'mwilling to pay for a top-notch airplane. Thanks,SteveMc

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Steve:The closest thing that I know of for that is Carenado's (www.carenado.com). It was advertised as an N model. I just looked inside the AIR file and it does appear to model the Lycoming 0-360 which is a 160 hp engine that Cessna up'd the Hawk to circa 1976...it might have been as late as 1978. I can't recall for sure. I remember that I had the distinct (at the time I thought dubious) honor of picking up one of the first 'Chicken Hawks' that Cessna produced. That was '78. I actually wish I had one of those airplanes now. I'm sure it's worth a mint....The L model that you say your learning in would have had the earlier engine, a TC O-320 if my ten year old memory is working right. I haven't seen one of those anywhere modeled anywhere. However, I do have two suggestions....1) Buy carenado's, it's only US $15. Once you get it, look in the aircraft.cfg file and change the line max_rated_hp=160 to ...=150. When Cessna up'd the horsepower, to 160 the only thing that changed was the engine mounts and she flew a little nose heavy during slow speed, power off maneuvers (like u-h-m-m...landing...Once you change the hp, I really doubt you would need to change anything else. 2) And this one's a little more difficult, make a copy of the default C172 folder and make sure there is only one sim in the aircraft.cfg. Change the same line there and see what it flies like. In that particular aircraft (the default you may need to tweak the pitch MOI down a little..not sure. If you like the model, then go get 172k2ctj.zip from the 'other site'. Stick that panel in your new aircraft...it's actually pretty good. Don't mess with installing the entire aircraft, it has the XP's engine modeled despite what it calls itself. If you need more help doing this, email me from the profile and I'll give a step by step. Still, if you have the $15, the Carenado's a pretty good buy. It has a better than average panel, FM is close to reality, visual is stunningly accurate. My only complaint with it is the forward view...but there are a couple of fixes for that if your interested.Hope this helps and if you need anything else, don't hesitate to email.BobL

Your memory serves well. The 1972 172L model that I'm flying does have the Lycoming O-320-e2D engine cranking out 150HP.... on a good day. :)Looks like the Caranado might be the best bet.I'll make the change to the max_rated_hp line and see how it flies... both compared to the POH and to my (limited) experience with it.Thank you very much for the info.SteveMc