Sign in to follow this  
Guest Milton

GMax Texturing - help!!

Guest MelvinRafi

Hi all!Have any of you guys experienced the problem I'm experiencing while doing certain types of texturing in GMax? I have a part. I select the faces that I want textured. Then I apply the material and add a UVW Mapping modifier. Most of the time I can do this perfectly with no problems. However, sometimes I get this very annoying problem. I key in the same value (say 50) for both the length and the width. However, the UVW Mapping gizmo shows a rectangle. Sometimes, it shows an oblong shape and the texture is distorted. Changing the values in the fields provided doesn't correct it back to a sqaure.Does anyone know how to correct this problem? I don't have to redesign the entire part, do I?:) Melvin Rafiwww.meljet.com

Hi there Melvin have you "transformed" the gizmo by using one of the standard transforms like scale move or rotate? (in the same way you would an object or polly). One can transform the gizmo just like anything else. I think that if you try playing around with the transforms when you are in the U.V. editor you will be able to solveyour "problem". An example would be if you are in "mapping" you canenlarge,strech and angle the mapping of your bit map with out having to allways use the unwrapper part of the U.V. editor. Hope this is of some help Danhttp://members.rogers.com/klasik2/danlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

Guest Milton

Hi Melvin,I have seen this and determined the cause was either related to a previous mapping of one of the multiple parts in the selection and/or material already applied to one or more of the faces/poly's, or a mistakenly selected face small or hidden.My technique is to always ensure all individual parts are clear of any mapping or materials before I begin. (When selecting you may also try holding down the ALT key and doing a general deselect in the other areas.)Then, I map the whole selection in one or more mesh selects. (e.g. fuse has 4 mesh selects and 4 UVW maps all the same size.) Leaving gmax open, I then export the selected fuse and maps via Quake's .md3's and open in LithUnwrap. If things look good, then save the map as a .bmp of the appropriate size.Then, I open that bitmap with the material editor and apply to the gmax object. Works perfectly... never need to adjust anything.Hope this helps.Milton